Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Enthusiast

Van Winkle Rye no longer available?

I was trying to special order some Van Winkle rye through my state liquor board. Their distributor said that the Van Winkle distillery told them that the 13 yr old rye was no longer available.

Is this true? Are they not bottling the VWFRR any more? If that's true, it would be very disappointing. If it's not true, I'd like to know why I've been told this.

Anyone know any more about this?

Thanks,
    Will

Enthusiast

Re: Van Winkle Rye no longer available?

Van Winkle Rye is now highly allocated. As we make Julian's whiskies available throughout the U.S., there is less product going into the older, better established markets, however, we are able to introduce more folks around the country to these nice products.

That being said, I tried the Binny's website and they are out of it. I know that www.internetwines.com has it in stock.

Ken

Enthusiast

I know that www.internetwines.com has it in stock.

Ken
    It looks like there is some special process I can follow to legally order liquor from out-of-state, but I'm having trouble getting the details from the state liquor board. I would be willing to pay the premium that internetwines charges if it meant a chance to try the VWFRR.

On a happier note, I should be getting my bottle of Sazerac Rye from my NH friend soon. They also are supposedly getting some Stagg in, but are pointing the finger at Sazerac for "forgetting" to ship them the Stagg. My wager is that they guessed when it would be available, and now that it's a month off, they want to blame someone else.

My aging grandparents gave all their grandchildren a nice Christmas check this year, and I'm planning to allocate some of it to 2-3 bottles of Stagg once it finally arrives up here.

...They also are supposedly getting some Stagg in, but are pointing the finger at Sazerac for "forgetting" to ship them the Stagg.
    Guess they figure you won't know (or else, they don't know -- which is perhaps more likely) that the shippers of Sazerac and Stagg are one and the same -- Buffalo Trace. Sazerac, Stagg and Eagle Rare 17yo all come off the same bottling line -- which several of us watched happen on Buffalo Trace's distillery camera.

Enthusiast

Guess they figure you won't know (or else, they don't know -- which is perhaps more likely) that the shippers of Sazerac and Stagg are one and the same -- Buffalo Trace. Sazerac, Stagg and Eagle Rare 17yo all come off the same bottling line -- which several of us watched happen on Buffalo Trace's distillery camera.
    Well, I think the parent company of Buffalo Trace is called "The Sazerac Company" out of New Orleans. That's who they're pointing the finger at.

Regardless, they think they'll have some Stagg in 3-4 weeks. Then I'll be taking a road trip down to West Lebanon, NH to pick up a few bottles for myself. I can't wait to try it, after all the hype I've heard!

Connoisseur

I've been unable to get the Van Winkle Rye here in SC since sometime last spring. Though Sazerac, Stagg, and Eagle Rare have been readily available for about 2 months now.
    Craig

Enthusiast

We re-allocate to each state in July, so if any rye is to be available, look for it in July or August each year.
    Julian

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Is Van Winkle still shipping to the Australian Distributor?
    Last time I spoke to them they had some 13yo Rye & 20yo Pappy, but weren't sure if they'd be getting more.
    They also mentioned they'd picked up the Antique collection in previous years, but not recently.

Enthusiast

We just shipped some 12-year and 15-year Pappy to Burwood Cellars in Melbourne.
    They may have some 20-year in stock also.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Thanks for the update Julian...
    I'll be talking to them soon as I need to place an order for some ORVW Rye 13yo and Pappy 15yo (which just went to the top of the list )