Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Pappy 15 vs. Pappy 20?

So... I received a bottle of Pappy 20 for Christmas this year. Looks like it's one of the older bottlings, based on information I received from Julian.

I just received a bottle of ORVW 15 yr old (well, that's what I ordered... it showed up as Pappy 15 instead - not sure why they still list it as ORVW 15). The color, nose and flavor is very different from my Pappy 20. Is this due to the difference in age, or the difference in the source of the whiskey? Or both?

I almost think I prefer the 15, but every time I think that I pour myself a tiny bit of the 20, and then I'm confused again...

Enthusiast

Re: Pappy 15 vs. Pappy 20?

William, the 15 & 20 are the same distillation. Just 5 years apart but very different bourbons.
    Where did you get the ORVW 15 from? I'll let them know it is listed incorrectly on their site.
    Julian

Enthusiast

I got the Pappy 15 from internetwines.com. They still have it listed as Old Rip Van Winkle Family Reserve 15 yr old.

Thanks for the response, and these are both very, very fine bourbons! I think I'm drawn to the 15 in part due to the higher proof, but then I have the 20 and the smoothness just lulls me. I hope these are available for many years to come, so that I have time to make enough money to make them my regular pour. Right now I am drinking both of them rather sparingly.

Guru

ah yes, Randalls does it again. I'm starting to be very disappointed in them. They have the best selection in the area and yet they seem to thumb their nose at serious bourbon drinkers with their overpricing and these types of shenanigans. Has anyone noticed what they are pricing their 04 Stagg for? Three times the normal price everywhere else. Now that I'm going to Bardstown at least twice a year they won't be getting a nickel more from me no matter if I have to wait for months for a new product not available on the Missouri side of the river.

Enthusiast

Heh, well... when one lives in a liquor control state, finding many of these items becomes difficult or impossible. Finding a place that will ship to me is even nicer, so I may take more advantage of them in the future, as long as the price isn't exorbitant (i.e., Stagg).

Connoisseur

The ORVW 15 seems to be gone from the shelves here - replaced by the Pappy's. Though the tastes are very similar, I had hoped to grab up a few of the remaining bottles before they disappeared.
    Craig

Apprentice

There was a nice article about the Pappy 15 in the Lousiville Courier Jounral Magazine a couple of weekends ago. I am sure you saw it. The article featured an attractive photo of the new bottle accompianied by a Riedel Bourbon glass. I am looking forward to picking up a bottle and comparing it side by side with the ORVW 15 yo. Various folks on this page have expressed opinions as to whether there are any differences. You would obviously know better than any one though. Was the intent of putting out Pappy 15 to replace ORVW 15yo or to add a new product to the VanWinkle line?

Enthusiast

Here is a link to the article being referred to:
    Louisville Scene Pappy 15 Article

Enthusiast

Whoops, pasted the wrong URL in there. Sorry! Follow the later link.