Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Administrator in exile

It\'s 17 degrees and dropping...

What's your favorite bourbon on a cold winter night?

A few good "warming" bourbons that come to mind:

WT Kentucky Spirit
    ORVW 10yo 107
    Stagg (any)
    Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve

Enthusiast

Re: It\'s 17 degrees and dropping...

Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve
    Old Grand Dad 114
    Wild Turkey Rare Breed
    Eagle Rare 101
    Booker's

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Tonight where it is very cold in Toronto, I passed by a hostelry I frequent only occasionally. They had Rowan's Creek. On inspecting the bottle I realised this is my favorite bottling, the one that has a sticker on the back that refers to distillation in 1988, it is (as far as I know) the bottling that issued about 5 years ago. I thought all this stock was exhausted but evidently some is still around in the bars at $8.99 (CAN) plus 15% sales tax per shot, steep but worth it. This whiskey is about the best bourbon I know: fruity, deep, soft, with char and wood flavour all in perfect balance. Probably the owner laid in 5 bottles 5 years ago and this is the last of it. The perfect antidote to the icy blustery weather outside. And I don't usually drink 101 proof straight, but tonight that was the way to go.

Gary

I had a Rowan's Creek mini (from a Boutique Small Batch 4-pack set) the other night -- I didn't get out the magnifying glass to check the bottling particulars -- and it reminded me much of a certain barrel-proof favorite (which I dilute to around 90-95 proof) of many of us here. I was pleasantly surprised, and will try it again.
    Otherwise, that certain barrel-proof favorite would do nicely tonight -- 20-ish in mid-Tennessee -- as does my Stitzel-Weller-distilled Weller Special Reserve. I paused and pondered, too, over Old Heaven Hill 10yo BIB and (current favorite bottle open) 1997 Wathen's.

Enthusiast

WT Kentucky Spirit
    One of my favorite bourbons ever, but particularly on cold, snowy Sunday afternoons.

ORVW 10yo 107
    One of Tina's favorites anytime!

Eagle Rare 101
    It's ten degrees, and I'm having it right now!

Great choices, guys. Very warming bourbons, indeed. I would add ER 17, too. Perfect for a 17 degree evening, I suppose!

Enthusiast

It's down to 4 degrees here on the prairie... wind chill of eight below.

I'm sippin' "the Reserves":

Boil water in a glass; pour out most of the water. Now add two
    glugs of Jefferson's Reserve, a splash of Woodford Reserve, and
    a dribble of Old Rip Family Reserve Rye.

It warms you up, and it's got layers of flavor just don't stop.

Tim Dellinger

Enthusiast

Up here in the great semi-white North, the car thermometer (usually accurate) reported -25 F as I approached home this evening. Its funny, because in town, just seven miles to the South, it registered only -10 F. This morning, it reported -33 F as I left for work.

This cold snap has apparently been the longest in years. It's been lows of at least -20 since early Friday morning.

Anyway, I've just finished enjoying a splendid sampling of the 2004 Stagg, served neat and sipped slowly.

The heat wave begins tomorrow. Temperatures are expected to reach the +20s!

Connoisseur

Re: It\'s 49 degrees and not dropping...

It's cold here in San Francisco tonight too...49 degrees with a wind chill of, well, 49. It basically never gets below freezing here in the winter...but then again it's usually cold and foggy in the summer when I find myself missing those hot summer nights. Anwyway, to stave off the depths of the California winter, I'm drinking the last of a bottle of Jefferson's Reserve. This is a pretty good bourbon, but not worth the $50 or so I paid for it.

Advanced Taster

-25 with the wind chill here, so we started with a sip of VW20yo to get the taste buds started, then to warm things up a little, out came the ORVW 15yo (a lot of wood and 107 proof)and what a nice choice, and to really warm things up, out came the Bookers......Now we're warm up here......
    Tomorrow is gonna warm up (around 8 degrees without the windchill).We'll have to start all over again...

Enthusiast

Downstate NY: 12 degrees, with a cold wind blowing. I don't even know what the temp is factoring in that wind. I know its damn cold though!