Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: George Dickel 10yo Special Barrel Reserve

Chuck,
    The U.D. people are remodeling the Dickel visitor's center and they asked me to help them find some things in the Archive at Stitzel-Weller. I spent about 4 hours with them and discussed several things. One of them was the Special Barrel Reserve and it is history. If you find a bottle, buy it because it will not be around much longer.

Mike Veach

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Were all these bottlings made exclusively for the BHC-collection
    Yes.

Connoisseur

Yes.
    Well, I prefer the shortlived Patrick Moraz line-up from 1974. After he was kicked out it was downhill all the way.

On a more serious note, though. I actually tried my two Dickels (Barrel reserve & No. 12) side by side yesterday.

I have to say that the No. 12 stands up quite well. Certainly the BR is a bit more refined but if only the palate would count then I would go for the 12. There is a vanilla shield that needs to be penetrated but after that you enter Tennessee whisky heaven (Yes, Barrel Proof, there is such a thing. ).

Where the BR triumphs is on the nose and the finish. It is especially obvious on the latter but it doesn´t really comes as a surprise considering the fact that the 12 has a decidedly average finish.

I think it is those fruity strains that gives the BR the upper hand in the nosing department. The 12 is no slouch, however. It gave a dull impression yesterday but it is a 1 liter bottle nearing its end and I distinctly remember that the nose was more potent when it was new.

All in all, two examples of great American whiskey. IMHO, Tennesse whisk(e)y is unfairly maligned by a lot of people on this forum.

Enthusiast

Yes?

Yes.
    Well, I prefer the shortlived Patrick Moraz line-up from 1974. After he was kicked out it was downhill all the way.

He's Swedish, isn't he?

Does that mean you followed him through his Moody Blues years too?

Guru

One of Those \"S\" Countries

Is it possible that I'm about to hijack an already-hijacked thread?

He's Swedish, isn't he?
    He's Swiss, actually, but I'll give partial credit for the "Sw".

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Connoisseur

Re: One of Those \"S\" Countries

He's Swiss, actually
    Thanks! Skiing and a penchant for neutrality, apart, there are no obvious similarites between us and the Swiss.

Actually, a couple of years ago I received a catalogue from Sam´s. I was a bit curious when I realized it was the summer catalogue sent to me in (I think) October. Then I checked the address label and saw that it said Switzerland instead of Sweden. God knows how many Swiss post offices that one had passed through. I´m amazed that it eventually found its way to icy Sweden.

Does that mean you followed him through his Moody Blues years too?
    Well, I had no idea that he had been in the M.B. They were, sort of, before my time and in all honesty, so were Yes, at least genre-wise. Back in ´74 I was just a little kiddo listening to primitive British rock like Slade. If someone had treated me to "Relayer" I probably wouldn´t even have recognised it as rock music.

To veer slightly on topic again (before I incur the wrath of Jeff ). How common is Dickel in the US? I have somehow gotten the impression that it is mostly a Southern drink. Wrong, or? It has, to my knowledge, never been available in Sweden.

Novice
    I've seen the Dickel "Special Barrel Select", the one in the BHC and then I've seen the Dickel Barrel Select to commemmorate the re-opening of the factory in 2004. Anyone have notes on these two versus each other?

I'm desperately attempting to find a bottle of either here in the Chicago area (for a special graduation from work coming in July to celebrate with some colleagues) with little luck so far.

Quote Originally Posted by asnigro
    I've seen the Dickel "Special Barrel Select", the one in the BHC and then I've seen the Dickel Barrel Select to commemmorate the re-opening of the factory in 2004. Anyone have notes on these two versus each other?

I'm desperately attempting to find a bottle of either here in the Chicago area (for a special graduation from work coming in July to celebrate with some colleagues) with little luck so far.
    Actually, the BHC bottling is "Special Barrel Reserve", a 10-year-old. There is no age statement on the Barrel Select. Both are 86 proof.
    Tim

Novice
    Finally landed a bottle of the Special Reserve off of eBay. I will be opening it on the week of july 14th after a work ceremony. I cant wait.

I did hear this was being re-issued this summer along with the Barrel Select from a Dickel distribution rep.

Novice
    Hello,
    Any other bottles left in Malden? Waiting for GD Barrel Select Which comes out this July but would love a bottle of Special Reserve. Thanks