I am in the process of trying to find a spirit I enjoy. Being in Louisville and having overheard some local conversion I decided to try bourbon and came across this board.

After a couple hours of reading here over a couple of days, I decided to head to the local Liquor Barn and see what happened...

Not knowing what I like, I ended up buying 4 50ml sampler bottles. Old Forester 86 proof, Evan Williams 7 year, Buffalo Trace, and Woodford Reserve.

I tried my first last night, Old Forester. I poured about half the bottle and cut it with 1 Tbs of water. After looking that up today I guess that this about 2 parts bourbon to 1 part water.

Initial impressions: It was a little strong but then I drink very little alcohol (don't care for beer, etc). I liked the smell pretty well but the taste, while sippable was not what I would consider good. Depending on how I drank, small sip, larger drink, placement in my mouth, different amount rising into my sinus, etc it seemed to taste a little different each time.

I guess I'll just keep at it and give each a sample and see if it gets any better. Maybe I'll try 1 to 1 water... Any further suggestions?

Thanks
--Kris