Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Great bourbon = Elijah Craig 12 year old

Just back from a short trip in the Empire State, picked up some fine whiskey around Buffalo.

First, Elijah Craig 12 year old - is there any better whiskey in America? I doubt there is. It is astonishing this whiskey sells from under $20 a bottle. This is great whiskey with great balance and flavor - it has it all. Something in the background reminds me of the Single Barrel Dickel, very rich and mineral like, fine fine stuff.

Also found a strip stamp Fleishmann's Preferred Blended Whisky, bottom of bottle stamped 88, so likely bottled then. 90 proof too, current label is 80 proof. The 90 proof shows an address in New Jersey for the brand, so likely it wasn't a Barton Property at the time. This is really good blended whiskey, less dry than today's version, showing more bourbon sweetness and less rye whiskey influence. Deep and rich for a blend, silky is texture too, similar in this respect to that circa '80 Seagram 7 Crown I tried some months ago.

Finally, Wild Turkey Rye - wow, never was it better. It seems older, softer than samples from a couple of year ago, a depth charge of a drink yet tangy and smooth if that is possible. Jimmy Russell knows real whiskey to the core and I think his best work is reflected in the market right now.

Gary

Enthusiast

Re: Great bourbon = Elijah Craig 12 year old

I've got to agree with yon on the Elijah Craig, although I'm not enjoying my newest bottle as much as I did my previous two bottles. That's probably because it was my regular pour for so long that I've been branching out a bit lately.

Although I've never been able to try the Wild Turkey rye, I will agree with you that Jimmy Russell "knows real whiskey to the core". I finally got my hands on a bottle of Russell's Reserve, and it's incredible.

Well, Gary, you (and the other fans here) almost have me convinced to give it another try. I just didn't like it the first time I bought it, and I tried several pours. But, it's cheap -- so maybe I'll try again.
    But, this ain't baseball -- two strikes, and it's out!

Novice

Yes, I will have to agree! I didnt like it when I first tried, but now it's a staple in my stash. I really enjoy the Knob Creek and the Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

First, Elijah Craig 12 year old - is there any better whiskey in America? I doubt there is
    No argument here. One of the best things that ever happened to the Aussie bourbon market was the arival of a select range of Heaven Hill products. Thankfully EC 12yo was one of them!

Advanced Taster

First, Elijah Craig 12 year old - is there any better whiskey in America? I doubt there is
    No argument here. One of the best things that ever happened to the Aussie bourbon market was the arival of a select range of Heaven Hill products. Thankfully EC 12yo was one of them!
    I concur. However I did go off it a bit lately with the last bottle I purchased which seemed a lot less complex and bitter in tasting than my memory of previous bottlings. I gave the brand the benefit of the doubt and bought a replacement. I'm SO glad I did. This new bottle is phenomenal. Definitely among the best pours I've had. Best thing is I got in on special. 10% off.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Recent bottlings must be hitting a peak because the bottle I bought is very good, rich and brandy-like with no bitterness or off-taste. One expects some variation in a small batch product but this current pour seems better than ever. The Heaven Hill team have got it right and the low price is an unexpected bonus, and further proof of the very good value which bourbon can offer. I feel the same applies to Wild Turkey rye. Past bottlings were always good but the current one shows more barrel character and depth. No age statement appears on the label but it tastes like 5-6 year old whiskey at least and may include older whiskey. In any case it hits the right balance. What I like about fine whiskey is a shot or two is enough, when it is this good it satisfies by its richness and fullness not by the quantity consumed.

Gary

Taster

At this point I have to agree with TNbourbon. I tried the EC12 several times and found it unimpressive. Even with the way it receives great marks here I have been hesitant to to retry. Maybe I'll give it another a shot but I'm not holding out hope. I think the WT rye is better now than it ever was. I thought it was just me.

Advanced Taster

I'm another for whom EC12 did not hold much appeal. Then again, I am also not a big fan of the standard Buffalo Trace bottling, so I might be a minority of one.

Connoisseur

It would be interesting to sample a current bottle from the US. I havenīt exactly been overwhelmed by my last two bottles, bought in Sweden and Germany, respectively.

The earlier bottles which I got from the US (around 2000) were much better, especially concerning the nose and the finish. Donīt get me wrong, the European ones are still good but much more, sort of, non-descript, if you get my drift.