Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: Awad on Wine

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Awad on Wine

A talented young Canadian writer and poet, Mona Awad, writes for a hip, newish literary magazine called Maisonneuve, published out of Montreal (see www.maisonneuve.org). In the current issue, she has a superb article called, "If Not Winter, Then Wine". Here's a sample:

"Understand, I'm no wine connoisseur. I mean, I can SWIRL and SNIFF and SIP like the best of charlatans. I have drunkenly dabbled, taken a course or two, flipped through some magazines, pretended to listen as my father, my professor, the waiter went on and on about "tannins" and "legs". I TELL people I can smell a note of this and a hint of that. And I always agree with men in bow ties. But if I'm being honest, good wine usually leaves me speechless or estranged from the usual buffet of adjectives coveted by wine experts. I'd ALWAYS rather drink than talk."

Gary

Connoisseur

Re: Awad on Wine

Amen to that, Gary. I was at an industry tasting recently and ran into a wine owner who was making a list of the phrases folks were sick of hearing in wine descriptions. I always laugh at some of these. My submission to the list was "dusty tannins." Always sounds like a topless dancer's name to me.

Enthusiast

And I always agree with men in bow ties.
    Not really on subject, but this stood out to me.

For years, I've said I never trust a man in a bow tie. More recently, though, I figured out what it is about them that caused my skepticism.

They think they're better than everyone else!

Just watch them. More often than not, there is an air of arrogance about them. My brother-in-law included (I didn't realize he was a bow-tie wearer until recently, but it fits his personality).

Connoisseur

OK. I'm gonna get out my bow ties and see if I can change your impression! Women in bow ties rock!

Enthusiast

I did say "men" in bow ties. I have no problem with women in bow ties. I generally have little problem with women in whatever they prefer to wear.

Taster

Thanks for pointing to this article -- I liked the idea of recapturing summer in liquid form!

here is a direct link:

If Not Winter, Then Wine

Rick

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Gosh, I was too snobbish to even realize that I was supposed to be wearing bow ties. I can fix that. A few bow ties, pinky lifting, a polished brisket plug, a pair of shoes for my ears and I will defintitely be the grandest tiger in the jungle.