Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Experimental bourbons you would like to see

Personally, I'd like to try a bourbon that uses an older strain of corn more like that which was prevalent in the formative years of bourbon whiskey. There have been so many advances in farming over the past century that I imagine the corn of that time was a lot different than what we consume today. Maybe even a wild maize bourbon if it was possible to gather enough of it.

Administrator in exile

Re: Corner Creek

You might want to check that link Tim.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

which states it is a blend of wheat, corn and rye -- "a selection of the distillery's finest barrels". So, apparently, "vatting" at the dumping level.

There is another possibility. When I spoke to Ted Kraut, who owns the brand, two years ago he said he wanted something with wheat because he had a past association with Old Fitzgerald and W. L. Weller. He confirmed that the label was accurate but when I asked him if it was a four-grain mash bill or a vatting of wheated and rye-recipe bourbons, he didn't know. HE DIDN'T KNOW!!! So what I think is that he bought some eight year old bourbon from somebody, wrote some label copy he thought was about right, and that was that. That's what I think.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Well, that's interesting. By the way one of my best, and simplest, blendings recently is Corner Creek and Woodford Reserve 50/50 (myabe slightly less Woodford). It is really good. It takes the slight astringency away from the Corner Creek and the big flavor of the Woodford is lightened and extended, with resultant waves of flavor and good drinkability (soft mouth feel, little alcohol burn on the way down). My feeling is Corner Creek is lighter on the rye bourbon than wheat bourbon, and the WR "corrects" that. I didn't add a blending agent, it doesn't need it.

Gary

You might want to check that link Tim.
    Oops!
    Try it now. I think I've got it.

Advanced Taster

Re: Corner Creek my opinion

I have been a corner creek fan for about 1.5 years now. It is the one I reach for when I want something a little different. I love the seetness and the rye notes I get from it. The palate starts off velvety but doesn't stay that way. This is a nice little bottling that I will never be without on my shelf. It's not carried in my state.I think the last time I bought it was from Sam's Wine and Spirits, they have it for $19.99.
    One of the BEST ever $20 bourbons IMO. If you are looking for multi-grain whisky, then try the Forty Creek 3-grain Canadian. It's a good little drink when you want a Canadian whisky. Small grains are malted barley, rye and corn (they call it maize). Prominant on the maize side I think (which makes it very intersting) and the barley is a nice touch and I just flat out love rye. Bourbon still rules, but ya gotta see whats on the other side of the fence from time to time.

Barry

Re: Corner Creek my opinion

Well put but this maize thing is a mystery to me. Canadians use the term, "corn" exactly like Americans. We don't use the term "maize" and if you asked 100 people on Yonge Street in Toronto what it meant I doubt one of them could tell you. I think this was put on Forty Creek labels with the export (U.K., rest of EU) market in mind. I am not sure if the term is used on the latest bottlings, I will check.

Gary

Administrator in exile

From the Corner Creek website:

"Deep amber hue.<font color="red"> Hedonistic sweet wood</font> , smoke and charred barrel aromas. A very smooth attack leads to a medium-bodied palate. Refined, supple, flavorful finish. Rounded and elegant, this is a very refined style."
    Hedonistic sweet wood? Sign me up!

Accurate description of the current bottling.

Gary

Advanced Taster

From the Corner Creek website:

"Deep amber hue.<font color="red"> Hedonistic sweet wood</font> , smoke and charred barrel aromas. A very smooth attack leads to a medium-bodied palate. Refined, supple, flavorful finish. Rounded and elegant, this is a very refined style."
    Hedonistic sweet wood? Sign me up!
    Hell, save me a seat!

Barry