Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guru

Seeking Recomendations

I am new to this board but not new to bourbon. I have been enjoying bourbon for many years however only within the past two to three years have I ventured into the more expensive brands.

With that said, a friend of mine is going to Lexington, KY for a week and I wanted her to get me a bottle of good bourbon that may not be available in Michigan. Price about $40.00 +/-. I like a good aroma, pleasant vanilla taste without much burn.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Taster

Re: Seeking Recomendations

Not sure what you can get in Michigan...but
    From a relative novice...
    Van Winkle Special Reserve Lot B
    Four Roses Single Barrel
    Both I think are in your price range and are nice bourbons.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Anything in the Buffalo Trace Antique Whiskey Collection, which would be the Eagle Rare 17-year-old, George T. Stagg, Sazerac Rye, Weller 19-year-old. Some are no longer available from the maker but might still be on store shelves. Maybe a buck or two over $40, but worth it.

Don't overlook the eponymous Buffalo Trace bottling just because it's half your $40 limit. One of the great things about great bourbon is that you don't have to spend a lot of money to get some.

Bourbonian of the Year 2008

I strongly recommend The four roses Single Barrel. It's only available in Kentucky and overseas. For my tastes a bargin at around $32.

Enthusiast

If you are looking for something that is quite rare up your way, I would suggest a bottle of Buffalo Trace and a bottle of Elmer T. Lee single barrel. I have not yet tried the Four Roses Single Barrel, but have heard it has very limited distribution.

Ken

Guru

I have both Buffulo Trace and Elmer T. Lee in my stock, and both are very drinkable. They are available in MI but not every liquor store carries them. Forutnately for me, I have a good liquor store in the immediate neighborhood.

It looks like George T. Stagg and Four Roses Single barrel are the leading contenders at this point.

Does anyone know if liquor prices are controlled in KY or do prices vary from store to store. Also clould anyone recommend a good liquor store in the Lexington area. Are these bourbons difficult to find?

Thanks again.

Will

Cork 'N Bottle in Covington, KY (1st I-75 exit south of the Ohio River) has a great bourbon selection.
    Stagg will be hard to find anywhere by now (but not impossible -- it's still on some shelves here in Middle TN, for example) unless your friend's trip is after the release of the new bottling. Some KY folk will have to speak to Four Roses' availability -- it doesn't get to TN.

Advanced Taster

Here is my two cents:

If you can't get the Four Roses Single Barrel, then try the Van Winkle 12 year old Lot "B". Very smooth, not a ton of vnilla, but some good citrus notes. Also the Old Forester Birthday Bourbon (1989 bottling, however, anyy year should be good to say the least) is very good. Just tried them both as a matter of fact. Both should be at about $40 or just under.

My 2 cents.... hey, wait, is that 4 cents?

Barry

I agree that any Van Winkle is a keeper. It's the best of both worlds -- the sweetness of the wheat accented by a spiciness almost universally claimed by rye-flavored bourbons outside the VanWinkle line.