Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Knob Creek or Woodford Reserve

Hello all! Long time no post.

Ok, my local Sam's Club has Knob Creek and Woodford Reserve. I've never tried either of these and I want to pick one up but I'm not sure which.

Any suggestions? I was leaning toward the Knob Creek because Jim Murray gives it 90 out of 100 in his Whiskey Bible 2004 book and says it has the best aroma from the JBB Small Batch selection.

I'm not sure which Woodford Reserve Sam's has - Distiller's Select 45.2%(90.4 proof), Four Grain 47.2%(94.3 proof), or Personal Selection 45.2%(90.4 proof). The price for the Woodford is around 25$

My favorite Bourbon is with a doubt Elijah Craig 12. Are Knob Creek or Woodford Reserve anything like EC12?

Re: Knob Creek or Woodford Reserve

Regarding similarity to EC12 -- no! Neither KC or WR.
    Check the batch number of the Woodford. Avoid anything that isn't either very low or over, say, Batch 100.

Personally, I'd get the Knob Creek anyway. Others will, undoubtedly, disagree.

Advanced Taster

I prefer the Knob Creek. But then again what do I know.

Enthusiast

I'd go with the Knob Creek.

WR has something about it that doesn't do much for me. In fact, the only Brown-Forman product that really does anything for me lately is the Old Forester Birthday Bourbon.

Enthusiast

I agree with you, Mike. The one time I tried Woodford Reserve it didn't impress me at all. There wasn't much too it. I really enjoy the Knob Creek.

Apprentice

Get both and enjoy. Both are great. The KC has a bolder, shorter taste.

Taster

It depends on your taste preferences. I find Knob Creek to be more full bodied than Woodford Reserve. As indicated above, there's been some inconsistency with the WR bottlings. IMHO WR at its best it's a lighter-bodied, flavorful pour with some decent complexity, but at it's worst it's thin and lacking.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

I'm not sure which Woodford Reserve Sam's has - Distiller's Select 45.2%(90.4 proof), Four Grain 47.2%(94.3 proof), or Personal Selection 45.2%(90.4 proof).
    The Four Grain is vaporware bourbon; it does not exist or has never been released. Jim Murray must have tasted a beta of product; which I don't think he should be releasing tasting notes on a product that has never been on a shelf for purchase.

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

It wasn't so long ago that I made choices between bourbons that I never had before. Soon you'll realize that its hopeless to force a decision because you're going to end up with both anyway.
    Sad but true. I remember when having two bottles of the same type of liquor open was unusual.

Guru

My first bottling of WR (Lot 88) was very disappointing and I literally had to force myself to finish it off in order to justify trying a later batch. But try a batch above 100 I did and was much more satisfied with the taste but still not overwhelmed. Both are decent pours and by getting them at Sam's you are probably getting a decent price. And as Ed has said, you will probably end up trying both eventually so the question is actually which one first? I also would go with Knob Creek unless I wanted a prettier bottle for my bar.