Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Guru

Temequila? (100% Agave Liquor - Made in USA)

Did someone already post about this ? I know someone brought it to my attention recently.

Personally, I just wouldn't have the stones to risk an encounter with the Mexican tequila interests, but I wish this entrepreneur from my old home town good luck.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Re: Temequila? (100% Agave Liquor - Made in USA)

I brought it up one evening in the chat room, Dave. I suspect Mr. Wagoner ain't gonna win this one, and should he? How would we feel if some Canadian distiller started calling his rye concoction bourbon?

Guru

Tim,

Thanks for the memory jogger.

Regarding your question, my answer is likely different than that of someone in the industry. If the Canadian producer produced a product that satisfied the definition in U.S. law, none of which is geographically specific AFAIK, I'd say he's entitled to call it "bourbon", just not "Kentucky bourbon".

If I were king, I might even go a step further and insist it be labled "Canadian bourbon" or even "Candadian bourbon, eh?"

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

If the Canadian producer produced a product that satisfied the definition in U.S. law, none of which is geographically specific AFAIK, I'd say he's entitled to call it "bourbon", just not "Kentucky bourbon".
    But that, Dave, is kinda my point -- a Canadian distiller cannot "produce...a product that satisfied the definition in U.S. law", because by both U.S. federal law and international trade agreement, bourbon can only be made in the U.S. (though not necessarily KY). The same is true regarding Mexico and tequila, and the U.S. is party to that trade designation.

The Boss

(l) Class 12; products without geographical designations but distinctive of a
    particular place.
    (1) The whiskies of the types specified in paragraphs (b) (1), (4), (5), and (6) of
    this section are distinctive products of the United States and if produced in a
    foreign country shall be designated by the applicable designation prescribed in
    such paragraphs, together with the words "American type" or the words
    "produced (distilled, blended) in __", the blank to be filled in with the name of the
    foreign country: Provided, That the word "bourbon" shall not be used to describe
    any whisky or whisky-based distilled spirits not produced in the United States.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The United States can control by fiat the labeling of any foreign-made products that want to be sold in the United States. The agreements with Canada, Mexico and the European Union additionally specify that each signatory will protect the other's proprietary names in their respective jurisdictions. In other words, we don't need an agreement to prevent a theoretical Canadian-made "bourbon" from being sold here, but to prevent it from being sold there.

The interesting question here is whether this name is in violation. He isn't calling it "tequila," but is "Temequila" too close? Like is "Ridgewood" too close to "Woodford"?

Guru

Bourbon is American, by Jingo!

Provided, That the word "bourbon" shall not be used to describe
    any whisky or whisky-based distilled spirits not produced in the United States.
    Jim, et al,

Well hush my mouth. I had no idea.

Is it too late to go back and delete my dumb post?

I suppose so.

Okay, how's this? They make it in Canada according to U.S. regs and market it as "Bourbanuck, The American-style Corn Whiskey Made by Canucks".

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Connoisseur

Anybody had the chance to try this stuff?

Pretty, um, advertisement...
    http://www.temequila.com/pages/1/pag...=1116532984176

Includes a link providing retail outlets at which to find it -- all in Southern California. $58 suggested retail.

Guru

JB Wagoner\'s (100% Agave Liquor - Made in USA)

I can now verify that JB Wagoner's is in stock at Hi Time in Costa Mesa.

If I hadn't already had a cartload of Russell's Reserve, I might have sprung for it. IIRC, the price was $52, $6 less than the suggested retail price -- but I didn't give it a long look.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield