Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Bizarre new hybrid whisk(e)y - \"Phillips Union\"

There was an ad for this stuff in one of my girlfriend's fashion magazines, and I'd never heard of it before: "Phillips Union," marketed with the slogan "Revolution Smooth."

Their logo (at least the Phillips part) looks suspiciously like that of the electronics giant. Maybe it can Bluetooth with your snifter.

According to them, this "luxurious blend of Kentucky Bourbon and Canadian Whisky makes harshness a thing of the past, one silky sip of salvation at a time."

It's available in standard, Vanilla, and Cherry flavors. The bottle design owes something to Woodford Reserve.

Anybody tried this stuff or know anything more about it?

Flash website: http://revolutionsmooth.com/

edit: Frankly, I'm not sure just where a post like this belongs. Moved it here to keep the stuff from contaminating everyone's collection -- JB

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Bizarre new hybrid whisk(e)y - \"Phillips Union\"

Interesting. I've been blending bourbon and Canadian whisky at home for years, sometimes adding flavoring, looks like this is the same idea. Nothing bizarre about it.

It is put out by Phillips Distilling of Minneapolis. Seems to be a dealer (not a distiller but I am not sure), long-established in liquors of various kinds, many flavoured, e.g. Revelstoke spiced whisky, Sourpuss (quite popular in Canada), various peppermint-flavoured drinks, and the like. They have a Phillips line of vodkas too. I guess being near Canada they buy our whisky in bulk and of course the bourbon and then blend them to their specific recipes. I'd like to try these products.

By the way, a timeline on the Phillips Distilling web site said a salesman in the 1930's developed for the company a peppermint schnapps when he noticed customers in bars putting peppermint candies in their "whiskey".

Now think guys, this is the mid-30's, why would they have been doing that in bars?

Gary

Advanced Taster

I saw these on the shelf at one of my favorite stores several days ago, while checking to see how many Hirsch 16s were left. The flavored ones are only 70 proof, but the bottles call the contents whiskey, which, as Chuck reminded us in another thread, is illegal: it is diluted whiskey.
    Personally, I think this is a wildly bad idea: something concocted just for trendoid brown vodka drinkers. I would refuse it if offered: just a bad, bad idea. Ed V.

Until I try them I won't know how these drinks taste, but my versions don't taste like brown vodka.

Gary

Advanced Taster

Why was this thread moved? As far as I can tell, this stuff is still "whiskey" in some form. It says so on the bottle, at any rate.

Alright I'll answer my own question since nobody bit: because the bourbon and rye whiskey available (at a decent price) in the immediate post-Repeal era was young and/or had GNS or light whiskey added (160-190 proof range whiskey), adding peppermint candies added additional sweetness and a wintergreen or mint-like tang. Just like aged bourbon should have.

Gary

I'll be my own interlocutor (this is fun) and say, but how did they know what genuine aged bourbon or rye was like since its production stopped in about 1919?

Well [in reply] they would have known the "medicinal" whiskey available during Prohibition and that was good regular whiskey, so that's how they'd know. And maybe they bought good bootleg bourbon (if there was such a thing), so that's how they'd know, too.

Okay but hold your horses: if they had the sawbucks to buy and therefore knew the good medicinal (straight) whiskey or good bootleg why didn't they just buy the expensive but available pre-Pro whiskey that was still being sold in the market post-1933? That woulda given 'em that mint alright.

Well, maybe that price was too high for them by then, or maybe they just couldn't get their hands on any, OR maybe it was too woody in taste by then.

Either which way, people don't just add peppermint candies (sayeth I, seeing all the religious talk going on) for nothing, they had a reason - it was because it made the cheap whiskey ("puntang whiskey" in the um, interesting phrase used by Fortune Magazine in 1933) or young straight whiskey predominantly available in the mid-1930's bearable - they knew that real old-time whiskey don't worry your head how, they just did. Okay?

Gary

Re: Bizarre new hybrid whisk(e)y - \"Phillips Union

Why was this thread moved? As far as I can tell, this stuff is still "whiskey" in some form. It says so on the bottle, at any rate.
    U.S. federal regs mandate that 'whiskey' be at least 80 proof. Despite what name appears on the bottle, this blend apparently isn't legal whiskey, since it appears to be 70 proof. That's my 'take', anyhow. If that's not it, I guess whoever actually moved it can tell you.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Re: Bizarre new hybrid whisk(e)y - \"Phillips Union

edit: Frankly, I'm not sure just where a post like this belongs. Moved it here to keep the stuff from contaminating everyone's collection -- JB

Edited by jbutler (Mon Mar 21 2005 12:01 AM)

I guess whoever actually moved it can tell you.

Connoisseur

I tried it at the recent WOW festival in SF a few weeks ago, wasn't terribly impressed. (and I didn't dare go for the flavored ones)I rather like the distinctive flavors of bourbon and canadian, (they are both excellent types of whisky)and putting them together just seems to make things too complex. However, it was smooth and easy to drink, along the lines of blended scotch (I really have a hard/impossible time picking out the distilleries that contributed the single malt to the blend) I suppose they might be trying for a younger crowd that might prefer the taste of th infused flavors, but for me, the straighter the better....I'll hold final opinion for a time when the opportunity to tase in a better situation/setting. best regards, doug