Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Two Historic Distilleries Are Threatened

Do a Mapquest search for Glenns Creek Road, Frankfort, KY. You'll get a bunch of number choices and can pick pretty much any one you like to bring the map up. The distilleries are just across the county line in Woodford County. Glenns Creek Road is also Rt. 1659. Woodford Reserve is on the same road, but closer to Versailles. Though in Woodford County, Taylor and Crow are very close to Frankfort.

Advanced Taster

I hope there is somthing that can be done to save these places.
    I come here every year to see and imagine what it was like when Dr.Crow
    used to make that excellent bourbon. Recently I opened up a bottle of Crow from 1944 bottled, and distilled in 1940. It was great and the taste opens up like nothing the bourbons these day have.
    This is from 2003 the main path inside the Taylor, I think the still room is on the left.

Koji
    Attached Images Attached Images

Advanced Taster

These equipment where left inside of the building to the right I think.
    Chuck might have an idea of what they were used for.

Advanced Taster

Here's a view from a different angle, it is a huge place and taking care of it
    is not an easy job.

Koji

Advanced Taster

This is one of the men who takes care of this place from completely going
    down, I've been there it is hard work. His name is Mike Withrow, his dad
    Cecil Withrow bottled the Stone Castle brand and shipped them to Japan.
    I meet him once a year and he lets Yuki and I take time to picture and walk
    around the historic place, he does let people do tastings and things inside
    the distillery if you ask I thought.
    Me on the left,Mike on the right.

Koji

Enthusiast

This list is posted annually in the Lexington newspaper and typically gets some people worked up. Not sure how you might get it on this list but it saves a lot of buildings.
    Look at the updated list and the 2002 list and it has Buffalo Springs Distillery in Stamping Ground on it.
    BlueGrass Trust Endangered List

Novice

Hi Everybody,

Amy Bennett here. I'm the one who gave Chuck Cowdery the heads up. Old Taylor and Old Crow Distilleries certainly deserve to be part of the The Most Endangered List. I'm striving to work with historic preservationists and others to stir up interest in these two significant whiskey distilleries.

I've really enjoyed reading everyone's comments and experiences in this thread. Someone asked where the distilleries are located so I'm attaching a map.

Please, keep the discussion going, brainstorm about future uses for the buildings, and tell others about the dangers to Kentucky Bourbon and architectural heritage. Thanks.

Enthusiast

Amy,
    Did you get any of your information from guy named Jake Jacobs? My father says he has a scrap book of old pictures of Old Taylor and Old Crow. I would say he is by far the most knowledgeable person concerning Millville history. If you didn't talk to him, he would be a good person to get in contact with if you need more information for your research.
    May I ask why you choose Old Taylor for your project?
    Brandon

Novice

Brandon, thank you for the contact! I haven't talked to him yet, but I definitely will--does he live in the area?

My historic photos and information have come mostly from the Kentucky History Center and Woodford County deeds, visits to the distillery, and well-written histories of the Kentucky whiskey industry like Chuck's Bourbon Straight.

As a new Kentuckian (I've only lived here almost 3 years), I quickly realized that Thoroughbred horses, burley tobacco, and Bourbon whiskey were three of the largest impacts on the landscape of central Kentucky. When I actively began pondering over possible Master's Thesis topics, I thought about my experiences documenting two of the buildings of the stud farm where Man O War retired. I also documented a few tobacco barns as part of an agricultural landscape study. They just weren't my cup of tea.

When the opportunity came up to work on a history of the Old Taylor Distillery as part of an adaptive use feasibility study, I took one look at the puzzle of recreational and industrial landscapes and was hooked.

To gain a better understanding of what it is I'm researching, I've also been immersing myself in the Bourbon culture. I've visited all distilleries open for public tours, gone to the the Bardstown Bourbon Festival, tasted various whiskeys (I have a bottle of Basil Hayden in the kitchen right now), and read A LOT of books on whiskey. Basically gaining appreciation and understanding for the whiskey industry, its long history, lively culture and products.

That's probably a longer answer than you were expecting.

When you've finished your thesis, please post it somewhere accessible, and let us know where.
    Thanks.