Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Are ryes getting better?

I had some of the Michter's 10-year-old rye last night at WhiskeyFest. I still question the price, on principle, but according to the representative I talked with, they are selling all they have at the current price and have stores clamoring for more, as quantities are limited. My first reaction upon tasting it was, "this is older than 10 years," to which he replied that it contains some 16 year old and some 21 year old whiskey. While he wouldn't reveal the source, he did say they have good continuity of supply and should be able to keep producing that and their younger rye product. (The overall shortage of bulk market American whiskey was a common topic of conversation last night.)

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Interesting. The regular Michter's Straight Rye is very good and the price more reasonable. The thing about those Michter's straight ryes is they have a good body, which rye doesn't always have.

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

This is complete conjecture, but a Heaven Hill employee indicated that the warehouse has lots of old rye, some as old as 25 years. It may be that they are now becoming the bulk supplier of ryes as the bulk of bourbon is in short supply. I just don't think that the market is there for super premium ryes just yet. Its evidently building as evidenced by the rapid consumption of the Rittenhouses, Sazeracs and Michters.
    Its just a matter of time. I was awestruck by a 15 year old that was presented at Heaven Hill recently.
    Ed

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Hopefully I can pick some Rittenhouse Rye up in New Zealand later this year..
    I'm still waiting for the day when there is more Rye available in Australia than Jim Beam
    So to put in in perspective (Are Ryes geting better) - I think they will here when more are made available.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

I was awestruck by a 15 year old that was presented at Heaven Hill recently.
    I forgot that one, it was indeed a nice pour. That bottle was supposed to have made a circuitous trip to the gazebo, did I miss it somehow?

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

That bottle was supposed to have made a circuitous trip to the gazebo, did I miss it somehow?
    No. Larry said, he would save that bottle for us...but not the Sampler. It's for the tasting during the Festival.

Bettye Jo

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Bobby,
    I don't think that Larry was going to bring that rye to the sampler. I hope he brings it to The Festival (or my house).
    The discussion of Heaven Hill's Rye stash came up at The Sampler and someone suggested that they made rye for Pikesville after the closure of their distilley, but while they were still selling product. When the product was discontinued, HH was left with a considerable amount of stock that is now approaching 25 years in age. I'd like to get some of those really old ryes and see what they're like. Then I'd like to blend them, ala Dr. Ryestein and see what happens.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

When we (me, Dane, John and Linda Lipman) were shown the warehouse during the HH visitor tour a barrel was pointed out as containing whiskey 30 years old. I would think such whiskey must be used for mingling although I don't know for sure. HH may itself be becoming a kind of specialty house for well-aged bourbon since as John Lipman pointed out many of the bottles of Elijah Craig 18 year old are older than that, approaching in some cases 24 years of age. Maybe HH's 23 year old whiskey contains, in fact, 30 year old whiskey from barrels such as we saw, I don't know. The Craig 18's we tasted in the tasting room were very good, I hadn't had it in a while and was favorably impressed.

Gary

Administrator in exile

I saw the same barrel a few weeks ago while in Bardstown. Our guide said that a wealthy tourist wanted to purchase it, but passed when told the price (our guide wasn't privy to the negotiations, only the eventual outcome.) Really though, at 30yo it would only be good for blending with other barrels and would thus reduce it's concieved value. It's probably more valuable to HH as a fixture.

Connoisseur

This is very interesting. In the 80s (and again early 90s) HH produced a limited release 28-year old bourbon. To the best of my knowledge, it is the longest-aged bourbon ever bottled. It wouldn't be out of the question HH would again choose to bottle something in the 28-30 year range upon request.

Omar