Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Novice

Re: Are ryes getting better?

I would have to say the recent Old Potrero Rye is the most flavorful. Reminds me of drinking a piece of black rye bread. This would be the 19th century, 90 proof version.

I have not found another rye that matches Old Potrero's flavor intensity.

Connoisseur

I was lucky enough to taste the HH 28 yo when in Japan a few years ago. While very good I thought it was getting a bit woody, perhaps a few too many years sleeping. That said, if I had the chance to try a 30 yo bourbon and liked it I can see paying over $250 for one. I have a good half dozen bottles of scotch that are double that and a bunch in that area. Sadly, if they do bottle a 30 yo it would be export only at this point in time.

This is very interesting. In the 80s (and again early 90s) HH produced a limited release 28-year old bourbon. To the best of my knowledge, it is the longest-aged bourbon ever bottled. It wouldn't be out of the question HH would again choose to bottle something in the 28-30 year range upon request.

Omar

Guru

During the recent Sampler weekend, our tour of Heaven Hill's rickhouse concluded with the guide showing us a barrel of 37 year old bourbon. Her story was that someone asked her if it was for sale and she referred him to the front office to see. The point was that the barrel was still there. I just wonder how much is actually left in that barrel at this point....

Advanced Taster

Have you tried the Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye 13yr? It is really intense in flavor and quite complex for a rye. This is probably my all time favorite rye. If you haven't had it, I highly recommend it. Oh, and it's less than half the price of the Potrero.

Enthusiast

Just mixed some Pikesville into a proper (decent amount of verm, well-bittered) Manhattan garnished with a Turkish jarred sour cherry. Beautiful, with a sandalwood thing coming out and a firm kick of rye, just softened and delineated by its partners (come to think of it, just like a good Sazerac). Guess I know what I'm drinking next!

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Sounds great, well done.

Gary

Enthusiast

Gotta say, it performed better in a Manhattan than a Sazerac. Not to say the Saz is bad, of course :-).

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

The Sazerac needs a more nuanced whiskey than a Manhattan. The combination of a Gothic-flavored drink like Pikesville marries perfectly with the no less monolithic herbal sweetness of red vermouth - each is the foil of the other. The Sazerac, on the other hand, with its delicate backdrop of absinthe/faint sugar/bitters, needs a softer whiskey to cozy up to. Old Grandad would work well with its rye edge -so would Bulleit and - especially - Four Roses Single Barrel.

Gary

Enthusiast

I happen to think Overholt works very well also (especially price/value). Turkey rye is good as well.