Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pure Kentucky?

Taster
    Opened and finished my bottle of Pure Kentucky XO about a month or so ago. Very hearty and full-bodied, and over the top in oak. Maybe a year or two less time in the barrel would have improved the pour, but all in all, it is what it is...and that is some pretty good 107 proof bourbon.
    "Now it is time for that mellow moment"

I suspect this is one that varies greatly depending on the batch as I have one opened that is not in the least woody to me. My last ETL and RHF were so woody by comparison that I felt I was chewing on a bourbon soaked 2x8! And I am no beaver, even though I come from the beaver state...

Anyway I have the one open PK XO that I enjoy quite a bit and another from a different batch that has not been opened yet. IIRC the ages on the two are different.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life
    I suspect this is one that varies greatly depending on the batch as I have one opened that is not in the least woody to me.
    You may be right. I don't recall noticing any strong woodiness in my taste of Pure Kentucky, and I'm generally pretty sensitive to that sort of thing. Of course, I'd also had quite a bit of bourbon by that point in the night, so my taste buds were probably not in the best shape ever.
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    I suspect this is one that varies greatly depending on the batch ...
    Without question that is the case, as the producer of Pure Kentucky XO is a bottler but not a distiller who is at the mercy of his bulk whiskey suppliers. This difficulty maintaining consistency from batch to batch is one of the many reasons I don't have much interest in these non-distiller bottlings.

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery
    This difficulty maintaining consistency from batch to batch is one of the many reasons I don't have much interest in these non-distiller bottlings.
    Good point Chuck and further reason I don't really understand the distiller selling bulk whiskey to others to be bottled under a different name...
    C

but face to face

...I don't really understand the distiller selling bulk whiskey to others to be bottled under a different name...
    It's just another revenue stream. They're in the business of making and selling whiskey. This is just another way to sell their product.

Only Heaven Hill does it as a standard part of their business, but everyone will sell bulk whiskey under the right circumstances. What are the right circumstances? (1) The distiller doesn't need it to fill existing demand for their brands, and (2) there is someone willing to buy it for a profitable sum.

Part of the reason the industry needs bulk sales is because of the long lead time necessary for production planning, due to the aging cycle. A distiller sells its bottled products via orders from distributors. It's good to have enough product to fill all the orders, but that probably means you have some left over. (Better that than not having enough.) Having another way to sell it is good business.

Connoisseur
    Without question that is the case, as the producer of Pure Kentucky XO is a bottler but not a distiller who is at the mercy of his bulk whiskey suppliers. This difficulty maintaining consistency from batch to batch is one of the many reasons I don't have much interest in these non-distiller bottlings.
    Chuck...would a bottler bother to mingle barrels together to help improve the taste? Or do they simply bottle what they purchase directly from the distiller?

Even if they couldn't meet a standard profile from bottling to bottling, it would make sense to vat stuff (especially if they buy from more than one distiller) and hopefully be able to create an improved taste profile for their label(s).

Greg.
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBoozer
    Chuck...would a bottler bother to mingle barrels together to help improve the taste? Or do they simply bottle what they purchase directly from the distiller?

Even if they couldn't meet a standard profile from bottling to bottling, it would make sense to vat stuff (especially if they buy from more than one distiller) and hopefully be able to create an improved taste profile for their label(s).

Greg.
    They do what they can with what they have at any given moment. If they have a contract with the distiller, they may be getting some consistent product, but many of these guys are buying on the spot market, which is pretty much catch as catch can.

I tried some of this again tonite and cannot say a single bad thing about it, I think it is wonderful - too bad I don't know where it was actually distilled.

I am still bothered and always will be about the selling of bulk. Maybe I just view it wrong, but if KBD buys bulk from HH does that mean that what turns into PK XO or even Vintage xx year was distilled as the same stuff that could have ended up being Elijah C. or Evan W.? I apologize for my ignorance if I am totally off on this.

I guess all that matters in the end is if I enjoy what I bought for the price I paid....
    C

but face to face

Guru
    This difficulty maintaining consistency from batch to batch is one of the many reasons I don't have much interest in these non-distiller bottlings.
    Chuck, as usual you are correct the quality can vary. But it can with "big name" bourbons as well; e.g., EC 12 and recently Blanton's.

Part of the joy is exploring and trying new pours. If I find a really good one (like a recent Noah's Mill) I'll grab another from the same batch number (or a least from the same store's selection).

I always find them at least "interesting" and sometimes outstanding....
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."