Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Pure Kentucky?

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery
    It's just another revenue stream. They're in the business of making and selling whiskey. This is just another way to sell their product.

Only Heaven Hill does it as a standard part of their business, but everyone will sell bulk whiskey under the right circumstances. What are the right circumstances? (1) The distiller doesn't need it to fill existing demand for their brands, and (2) there is someone willing to buy it for a profitable sum.

Part of the reason the industry needs bulk sales is because of the long lead time necessary for production planning, due to the aging cycle. A distiller sells its bottled products via orders from distributors. It's good to have enough product to fill all the orders, but that probably means you have some left over. (Better that than not having enough.) Having another way to sell it is good business.
    Australia has quite a few lables that are sold in this way..... (even Jim Beam White Label is shipped here in barrels and bottled at the lower proof of 37.5%)
    Most noteable of these (I think) is Cougar bourbon. I think I read somewhere that this comes from Wild Turkey? Does anyone know for sure?

Enthusiast

Re: Pure Kentucky?

Got my third botle of Pure Kentucky XO for Christmas. I'm not sure what it is about this bourbon that I really enjoy but it is truly one of my favorites. It bugs me that I don't know what to attribute it to, whether it's the distiller or recipe or what since what makes up these bottlings seems very hush hush. Truth be told, I wouldn't have ever bought it if my wife didn't spring it on me for Christmas last year. The reviews didn't appear to be gushing but I didn't want to hurt her feelings and take it back. I'm glad I opened it. I worry that I'll hit a bad batch one of these days though and it will sour me for it but so far...3 out of 3 over a year span from different stores is a good track record. Anyone know where this whiskey is distilled and if all bottlings comes from the same age barrels and what not?
    --Mark

When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

The other board has a taste note reporting very good things about the current bottling; your opinion adds weight to this view.

Gary

I would try it for $17 or even for $26.. but its $39 at bevmo... so i think I will pass.

Quote Originally Posted by camduncan View Post
    Australia has quite a few lables that are sold in this way..... (even Jim Beam White Label is shipped here in barrels and bottled at the lower proof of 37.5%)
    Most noteable of these (I think) is Cougar bourbon. I think I read somewhere that this comes from Wild Turkey? Does anyone know for sure?
    I was wondering about that myself Cam....I'm not a fan of normal Cougar, but I do like the Cougar XS (86 proof). It would surprise me if it came from Wild Turkey, as I am not a fan of their 86.8, I find it too raw. Although if they did make it - it could be a different recipe they use....I love the 8yo 101 though, and of course the others.....

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Without question that is the case, as the producer of Pure Kentucky XO is a bottler but not a distiller who is at the mercy of his bulk whiskey suppliers. This difficulty maintaining consistency from batch to batch is one of the many reasons I don't have much interest in these non-distiller bottlings.
    While not trying to shift the course of this thread, is PKXO akin to Kentucky Vintage? I had a bottle of it at one time in the past and it was pretty good - worth the $20 I paid. I have only seen one bottle since and it sits in a store I rarely visit for $27 - figured that was too much. Seems like there was some link to PKXO - maybe not same source, but same bottler?

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by robbyvirus View Post
    I picked up a bottle of this last summer when I went through Kentucky. I like it a lot...it's very tasty, and a bit woody, which I like. I think I paid about $26 for it, and it's well worth it. I've never seen it outside of Kentucky.
    I scored a bottle in Southern Indiana (in New Albany, on the KY border) the other day for somewhere around $25-$30. I'll post some notes once I open it. I was far morei mpresed with the Noah's Mill than the Kentucky Vintage, though. The Noah's was very longm and like an explosion of violets and lavender. Since I'd never had anything from this distillery, I opted for the two cheaper ones instead of the two higher-end ones. I hope the Pure Kentucky delivers, because, like I said, the Kentucky Vintage seemed simplistic and lacking in depth.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Old Lamplighter View Post
    While not trying to shift the course of this thread, is PKXO akin to Kentucky Vintage? I had a bottle of it at one time in the past and it was pretty good - worth the $20 I paid. I have only seen one bottle since and it sits in a store I rarely visit for $27 - figured that was too much. Seems like there was some link to PKXO - maybe not same source, but same bottler?
    They're both from KBD, but I can't say if they are similar or not.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Old Lamplighter View Post
    Same bottler.
    http://www.kentuckybourbonwhiskey.co...ky_vintage.php

I'd still llike to know who the distiller is. Perhaps drew_kulsveen can clarify for us?

Enthusiast

Is this being discontinued?

I walked into my local Bevmo on Friday and they had two bottles on clearance for 24 dollars. I bought one and came home and tasted it. Better tasting than the usual ones so I went back today to try and get the other. It was marked down to 16 dollars now. You better believe I bought it. Great prices but it saddens me if this stuff is gone for good.
    --Mark

When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water.