Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Hybrid View

Apprentice

Whiskey Gone Bad?

While going through my collection over the weekend, I came across a bottle of Hancock's Reserve that I hadn't visited in some time. I've had the bottle about 8 yrs, and it's about 1/3 full. It's been corked and stored in the rear of my cabinet. When I pulled it out, I noticed that the whiskey was very cloudy What would cause this, and does this mean that it's ruined?

Guru

Re: Whiskey Gone Bad?

It's probably just a little oxidation and shouldn't have too much effect on the contents. Or it may be flocking due to fluctuations in temperature if near an outside wall over a long period of time. It looks like hell though and presentation is very important as we all know. Only tasting will tell you for sure though. Personally, I wouldn't be concerned and would give it a try. If the cloudiness is too much for you to drink straight, you can always use it for cocktails. That's a pretty expensive bottle to replace if you just chuck it for its looks.

Apprentice

Thanks

Apprentice

The taste will not change if your bourbon flocks. You should put a different bottle of bourbon in the frige, overnight. The next morning take it out and re-heat it in a bath of warm water in the sink. Be careful not to shake it up. Once it reaches room temp again, dry it off and turn it upside-down and gently shake it. Make sure that you have good lighting when doing this. If you see that it is a little cloudy when shaking it is perfectly normal, especially if it is under 90 proof. It is very unlikely that all of the fatty acids will be removed from chill-filtration. The chill filtration actually takes away some flavor and color from the whiskey.