Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Old Montana Red Eye Bourbon.

Hi,My two sons and my self have over the last couple of year had the great pleasure of drinking "Red Eye" Bourbon from our local "TESCO" store,but sadly they have stopped selling this bourbon.I asked at this store why they have stopped selling this product,they said it was a one off buy and now have stopped.On the bottle is written "RED EYE FRONTIER BOURBON WHISKY" "IMPORTED BY SMOKEY JIM'S BOURBON" "KENTUCKY SUPREME DISTILLING COMPANY.KENTUCKY.USA.A web search has found "Old Montana Red Eye Bourbon" as being a near match. For this amasing bourbon to disappear off the face of the earth is such a shame.There must be somebody who can tell me where to look. I live in the capital of WALES which is in the UNITED KINGDOM.Many thanks and a happy new year to you all <font color="red"> </font>

Enthusiast

Re: Old Montana Red Eye Bourbon.

Well, it sounds like maybe the store (or chain?) purchased a one-time load of bourbon from a distillery and did their own custom bottling with it. Unfortunately, it can be very, very difficult (or impossible) to actually track down where that whiskey came from. My experience with doing this is pretty limited, but there are other, far more experienced folks here that might be able to help you.

The good news is that if we can figure out where it came from, we might be able to suggest similar (or even identical) bourbon bottlings.

Good luck!

Novice

Thanx for the info,you have come to the same conclusion that I did.I am hoping,like you suggested,that some one can find it's clone.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Unfortunately, the label copy you provided contains no useful information, except perhaps for the fact that the product was, indeed, Kentucky bourbon whiskey. The label doesn't provide any clues for determining the source.

Tesco is a big company, as far as I can tell it is similar to our Wal-Mart. I looked at their web site and while they had a lot of wine, and a little beer, on offer, they had almost nothing there about spirits. You might want to try emailing them for information.

Although the Heaven Hill Distillery is well known for selling bulk whiskey and creating private label brands, the fact is that virtually every distiller sells some bulk whiskey from time to time, so it really could have come from anywhere.

Another way for you to use this forum would be to tell us what products are available in your area and in your price range, and we will tell you which of these we think are the best.

I find a single online reference (in English, anyway) which adds little to all this except to note that Montana Red Eye is a 6yo bourbon:
    BarMedia

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

That seems like an odd list, especially considering how long it has been since the Henry Clay and Joseph Finch products have been available. The source of that list, and of that web site itself, is Robert Plotkin. He can be reached at 1.800.421.7179 or by email robert@barmedia.com.

Enthusiast

> Unfortunately, the label copy you provided contains no useful information,
    > except perhaps for the fact that the product was, indeed, Kentucky bourbon
    > whiskey. The label doesn't provide any clues for determining the source.

That sounds like a challenge to me!

from uspto.gov:

Word Mark OLD MONTANA RED EYE SPIRIT OF THE WILD TRADITIONAL MONTANA STYLE KENTUCKY STRAIGHT BOURON WHISKEY
    Goods and Services IC 033. US 047 049. G & S: alcoholic beverages, namely, whiskey. FIRST USE: 19780727. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19780727
    Mark Drawing Code (3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS
    Design Search Code 180103 200310 260307 260902 260921
    Serial Number 75262009
    Filing Date March 24, 1997
    Current Filing Basis 1A
    Original Filing Basis 1A
    Published for Opposition July 21, 1998
    Registration Number 2194921
    Registration Date October 13, 1998
    Owner (REGISTRANT) MONTANA DISTILLERS, INC. CORPORATION MONTANA 740 FRONT ST. HELENA MONTANA 59601
    Disclaimer NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "TRADITIONAL MONTANA STYLE KENTUCKY STRAIGHT BOURBON WHISKEY" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN
    Type of Mark TRADEMARK
    Register PRINCIPAL
    Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

...and a googling of "montana distillers inc" turns up address
    and phone number information for distributors and for the "distillery"
    itself, and vague clues that they're distributed in Iowa.

It looks like this is probably their address:
    MONTANA DISTILLERS INC
    740 FRONT ST
    HELENA, MT, 59601
    (406)449-3429

Another article at http://portland.bizjournals.com/port...16/daily3.html
    mentions that Montana Distillers Inc sold a few of its (Idaho and
    Montana only) brands to Hood River Distillers in Summer 2004,
    although Montana Red Eye isn't specifically mentioned.

Tim Dellinger

Novice

Thankyou for your reply.Yes it is a 6 yr old.also I have found that the importer to the UK is "SMOKEY JIM'S BOURBON" and I have yet to make contact with them. The address on the bottle is in SCOTLAND UK,and now no longer exist's.I am hoping that somebody in the USA,will recognise the name of the bourbon or similar and tell me.bye 4 now

Novice

Hi thanks for the reply,A web search took me to that site also,I found at the time that their e:mail address did not work..

Novice

Hi thanks for the reply.This bourbon is worth searching for.You have given me plenty of channel's to check.many thanks