Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bourbon Finds

Disciple

Re: Bourbon Finds

I after posting last night I couldn't resist at least a taste. Poured a third of a shot and swirled a few sips around my mouth before spitting it out. It is nice, smooth, maybe a bit young-there is no age statement. I have to say that I like it, thought it is softer than most of my favorites, that might be due to its low, only 80, proof.
    Ed

Advanced Taster

I was checking out a store I've never been in today and came across a bottle of Classic Cask "Hand Crafted Single Batch Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey" Aged 17 Years, Distilled in 1985 & Bottled in 2002, 90.8 Proof. Is this a rye? All it says is bottled by the Classic Cask Co. Bardstown Kentucky. Does anyone know who distills this. It was $49.00 and came in it's very own wooden box with a sliding plexiglass front panel! Of course I had to buy it!
    Tom V.

Enthusiast

While there is a Classic Cask rye, there is also a bourbon, which you found. FYI, if it says "straight bourbon whiskey" on the label, that's what it has to be. The rye will say "rye whiskey."

I've noticed some discussion on the rye, which is well regarded, but haven't paid as much attention to threads on the bourbon; I've not seen either bottle. A search may reveal some speculation about the maker.

Let us know how it tastes.

Bob

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Kentucky Bourbon Distillers was the bottler, unsure of who distilled this.

Advanced Taster

Thanks for clearing that up Bob. Yeah, I'll definitely post my impression of it upon tasting. I've decided to bring it along when I go fishing for a week in late August, me and my brother will give it a proper tasting! Tom V

Enthusiast

Two guys? A week of fishing? One bottle? My experience suggests at least one other bottle, just on quantity, not to mention variety. And that's even with beer in the mix.

Have fun.

Bob

Advanced Taster

You're absolutely correct Bob! I am bringing along the Classic Cask, but already out at the summer place are Weller 12 year, ORVW 10 yr 107, & Bulliet. It would not do to have to break the mood by having to make a Bourbon run!! I wonder if Bourbon goes well with Barbequed Porgies? Tom V

Guru

I think that was one of Evan Kulsveen's bottlings.

Tim

Enthusiast

We've never had much luck with great finds, but I (Dave) ran across these oddities today - a Cabin Still decanter, a Fleischmann's bourbon bicentennial decanter, and a very cloudy - I hope it's cork! - partially evaporated Bourbon USA banjo bottle. Don't know much about any of them, so chime in if you've tasted or know their histories. I would assume they're all 1970's, but I don't know that either. Glenmore products? I remembered from a search that Chuck said Glenmore owned Fleischmann's and Medeley products then?

The cost was:

Cabin Still $25
    Fleischmann's $15
    Bourbon USA $8
    Attached Images Attached Images

...a Fleischmann's bourbon bicentennial decanter...
    What a coincidence, Dave and Tina -- I have two full examples of that bird, with one of them currently open. It's my only acquaintance with Fleischmann's, which was distilled in Owensboro.
    The eagle decanter was issued for the U.S. Bicentennial -- so, 1975 or 1976. Since there is no age statement on the bottle, safest assumption is that it was distilled in the 'early-'70s'. The golden barley color indicates it's fairly young.
    I don't know the mashbill, but I assume relatively high corn -- it has a corny mustiness in the nose reminiscent of freshly cribbed corn. Or, perhaps that's bottle age and an imperfect bottle seal showing. Who knows? But the mustiness wears off with aeration, much like some old Old Charter I've had recently. Then you get some light caramel and heavy vanilla.
    On the tongue, it hints at sweetness that kind of dies at mid-palate. Some mild heat accompanies some nominal leather notes, followed by a short, but fresh, finish.
    It's not spectaculor or complex, but pleasant enough. Let's see, maybe the closest current bottling would be Old Forester 86.
    I'll be interested to know how your impressions correspond or differ to mine.