Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

View Poll Results: Pappy Van Winkle

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • 15 year Pappy

24 75.00%
  • 10 year Pappy

8 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Advanced Taster

Pappy Van Winkle 15 yr old

Is it really worth spending $45 for this versus $27 for the 10 year old? I just bought a few bottles of Old Grand Dad 114 and really appreciate the barrel proof heat, but a nice smooth lasting carmel finish.

Is Pappy that much better? I prefer a hot bourbon like George T Stagg and Bookers, but I cannot find Stagg and Bookers is a little too pricey.

Advanced Taster

Re: Pappy Van Winkle 15 yr old

I havent tried the 10yo, but the nose of the 15 is really my favorite and my most easily distinguishable of the 10 bottles I have. It is a hefty 107 proof but it sure doesnt smell that way at all to me. If you want a cheaper hotter bourbon, try Wild Turkey Rare Breed. Its not the hottest tasting bourbon, but it has a great hotness/soft-flavor balance with a little crisp rye in there (which the pappy doesnt have) and it sells for around 30 dollars.

Advanced Taster

Thanks Gents. I am really liking the Old Grand Dad 114. And for $25 it is a great bargin for a Barrel Proof bourbon.

One day I will have to pick up a bottle of the Pappy Van Winkle Reserve 15 yr old 107.

Advanced Taster

Absolutely the 15yo is my favorite. I just bought the last 5 bottles(squat bottles) that were on the shelf.That is the ORVW 15yo and I found 2 of the ORVW 10yo 107 proof as well and took them home. The 10yo has the VanWinkle appeal, but the 15yo has more wood, a cleaner finish and makes you want to drink more.... As for the replacement PVW 15yo family reserve, not even close to the ORVW 15yo... If I were you, I'd buy up all of the squat bottles you could get. But that's just my opinion....

Advanced Taster

I have been going rounds with ORVW 15 yo, 107 proof in the squat bottle and Rock Hill Farms bourbon. I love them both. Now I wished I had bought all the ORVW bottles when I had the chance.

Guru

Definitely the 15!
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Connoisseur

15, No contest. Much, Much better than the 10.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Disciple

I would get a bottle of ORVW 10/107 along with either of the15/107 bottlings. The 10/107 isn't much more than the 10/90 and it would be fun to compare it to the OGD 114!

Thomas

Well, not sure I understand the choice, which is probably why I've never made one. When this thread/poll began, the Pappy 15 didn't exist -- instead it was ORVW 15/107. A Pappy 10yo has NEVER existed.
    So, if we're comparing the ORVW 15/107 with either the ORVW 10/107 or 10/90, give me the 15yo. If it's today's Pappy 15 vs. ORVW 10/107, give me the younger version. If we're talking the Pappy 15 and ORVW 10/90 -- well, then I'll split the difference (in age AND price) and buy the 12yo Lot B.
    Tim

Advanced Taster

I managed to finally get a bottle of the highly regarded ORVW15. I have had plenty of the PVW15 (still do) and was excited to compare the two head to head. I did so last evening and all I can say is there is virtually no difference. I think I remember Julian stating in an earlier thread that the contents are the same but packaged in different bottles. This sure seems to be the case...