Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

View Poll Results: Pappy Van Winkle

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • 15 year Pappy

24 75.00%
  • 10 year Pappy

8 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Pappy Van Winkle 15 yr old

Is it really worth spending $45 for this versus $27 for the 10 year old? I just bought a few bottles of Old Grand Dad 114 and really appreciate the barrel proof heat, but a nice smooth lasting carmel finish.

Is Pappy that much better? I prefer a hot bourbon like George T Stagg and Bookers, but I cannot find Stagg and Bookers is a little too pricey.

Advanced Taster

Re: Pappy Van Winkle 15 yr old

I havent tried the 10yo, but the nose of the 15 is really my favorite and my most easily distinguishable of the 10 bottles I have. It is a hefty 107 proof but it sure doesnt smell that way at all to me. If you want a cheaper hotter bourbon, try Wild Turkey Rare Breed. Its not the hottest tasting bourbon, but it has a great hotness/soft-flavor balance with a little crisp rye in there (which the pappy doesnt have) and it sells for around 30 dollars.

Guru

Strictly speaking, I don't think there is such a thing as 10 y/o Pappy.

Here's the current line up.

Unless I've missed a news bulletin to the contrary, the 10 y/o still carries the "Old Rip Van Winkle" name, whether 90 proof or 107 proof.

The former Old Rip Van Winkle 15 y/o (107 proof) has now been replaced by the Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 15 y/o (107 proof).

That nit alone would not be enough to keep me from voting. However, I have yet to taste the PVWFR 15 y/o, which some claim differs significantly from the bottling it replaced.

Back when ORVW 10 y/o and 15 y/o were both available, I first preferred the 10 y/o. Later I came to find that I liked the 15 y/o as well, if not better. Then I learned that somewhere along the line the supply of Stitzel-Weller bourbon for the 10 y/o bottling had run out, replaced by bourbon from the Bernheim distillery.

Now I have no idea whether my change in preference was due to a change in my taste or the change in the bourbon.

As confused as I am at this point, I think I should abstain from voting for that reason alone.

BTW, given your stated preference for so-called "hot" bourbons, I would be surprised if any of the Van Winkle line turn out to be to your liking. Hot it is not (at least among the bottlings I've tried), even at 107 proof.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Advanced Taster

Thanks Gents. I am really liking the Old Grand Dad 114. And for $25 it is a great bargin for a Barrel Proof bourbon.

One day I will have to pick up a bottle of the Pappy Van Winkle Reserve 15 yr old 107.

Advanced Taster

Absolutely the 15yo is my favorite. I just bought the last 5 bottles(squat bottles) that were on the shelf.That is the ORVW 15yo and I found 2 of the ORVW 10yo 107 proof as well and took them home. The 10yo has the VanWinkle appeal, but the 15yo has more wood, a cleaner finish and makes you want to drink more.... As for the replacement PVW 15yo family reserve, not even close to the ORVW 15yo... If I were you, I'd buy up all of the squat bottles you could get. But that's just my opinion....

Advanced Taster

If you like a hot bourbon with complexity try Baker's. I love it neat. As for the ORVW 15 yr squat bottle, I voted for it! It's great stuff, and I see the discussion continues as to whether or not the Pappy 15 yr Founders Reserve differs or not. The general consensus of the tasting notes by folks who have tried it that I've seen say very different bourbons. When I emailed Van Winkle, Julian responded to my email and said it's the same bourbon in a different bottle. I took the same tack as one of the other folks who responded to your post, I just bought 6 of the squat bottles of the 15 yr.

Advanced Taster

I had gotten the same response from Julian as well, and I emailed him again, asking why the difference in taste if it is just a bottle change and I have not heard back from him. There is a big difference in the 2 bourbons..There were 5 of us when we opened the bottle of 15yo family reserve to try it and all agreed a big difference. After that tasting is what prompted me to go buy up all of the ORVW 15yo I could find.....

Advanced Taster

Well I don't know, maybe same recipe different source? ...or different years? ...or batches? All I know is, like you, I've taken action to protect my nose and taste buds!...I got me 6 lovely little squat bottles of 15 yr. and I am considering picking up some more, just never can have enough of your favorite bourbon can you!

Advanced Taster

I have been going rounds with ORVW 15 yo, 107 proof in the squat bottle and Rock Hill Farms bourbon. I love them both. Now I wished I had bought all the ORVW bottles when I had the chance.

Guru

Definitely the 15!
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."