Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    Administrator in exile

What bourbon are you drinking now? Part deux

Tonight, instead of that hour on the treadmill I promised myself I would spend this morning while looking in the mirror, I'm enjoying an after-work relaxer of Eagle Rare 17yo. I enjoy this bourbon just as much as Stagg and go figure, this year it's harder to find!

So what are you indulging in right now?

Guru

Re: What bourbon are you drinking now? Part deux

I'm sipping on some Evan Williams White Label BIB. No year statement so I guess it's 4yo. Not bad, got that EW taste with a little more zip.

Advanced Taster

In the last week I finished off my EC12 and my EC18, so my only open bottles of whiskey aren't bourbon: Tullamore Dew (Irish) and VWFR rye. I have my first bottle of Buffalo Trace which I'll open next week to celebrate my new apartment. Moving this weekend is going to be quite a chore so I'm looking forward to trying a new bourbon.

Matt

Enthusiast

Buffalo Trace and See's candies. The wife ordered a 5 pound box of See's for my Valentines day present and I ordered a bunch of BT from Binny's, just cause. Pretty tasty combination, chocolate and Bourbon, but I guess you all knew that already.

I'm enjoying Evan Williams 1783, which I think of as EWSB Jr. -- not quite as deep or complex, but with at least hints of all the notes that make the latter a go-to bottle.
    Probably will chase it with a couple of fingers of my favorite 'dessert' bourbon, ORVW 15yo.

Guru

Tonight I wanted to pick up where I left off last night -- with Wild Turkey 101, which was so tasty last night that I finished off a bottle. When I looked for my spare bottle, I found that the one I had finished was my spare bottle, which I hadn't gotten around to replacing. (Here in Arizona WT101 goes for over $20, compared to the frequent $13 special price at Rite-Aid and an everyday price of $14 at Trader Joe's back in California.)

I took that as a sign that I should attempt to answer Chuck's recent post regarding a certain non-bourbon whiskey. After a few sips I found it too cloyingly sweet to finish.

Then I encountered Gary's post regarding blending. I added an equal amount of Jim Beam. It helped some, but I couldn't face finishing a double of a concoction I didn't really enjoy.

Eagle Rare 101 has saved the day. To my taste it has more wood than WT101 but not as much char. I've commented before on its slight sweetness. Tonight it seems almost crisp and dry compared to my earlier pour.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Enthusiast

Matt,
    I noticed your comments and realized I have not seen your name before - Welcome to SB.com! Anyway, I am pleased to see that you have come into some Buffalo Trace. After your move, I look forward to reading your comments, good and bad.

Ken

Enthusiast

I've had a cold for about three weeks now. For about a week I had absolutely no smell or taste, so I wasn't wasting any of my good bourbons. Finally the tastebuds are starting to work. Last night I had some Jim Beam Black. I like this stuff. It's young and old all at the same time.

Enthusiast

Dave,
    If you were from Kentucky you would have known to treat a cold by taking some of the bourbon you have in your collection that you are less fond of, mix in some honey and lemon, gently warm the concoction, and consume it while sitting in an easy chair and watching TV. You feel better (or at least you get sleepy) and you get rid of some of that stuff you have been holding on to for years.

Ken

Enthusiast

Ken, thanks for the tip, and you're close! That's the same recipe I use except I don't waste bourbon on a cold. But, I usually use cheap tequila, or other spirits that have been brought to the house by un-educated guests. There isn't a bourbon I 've tasted yet that I would consider bad enough to mix with lemon. LOL

"There is no such thing as bad whiskey. Some whiskeys just happen to be better than others." (William Faulkner).