Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: How many bottles do you bunker?

Yeah, me too, I've read about a bunch of bourbons here that I never knew existed that I'm now gunning for! Booker's is definitely real fine, try Baker's and Old Rip Van Winkle 10 yr 107 proof and the 15 yr, they'd make a nice flight with the Booker's!

Advanced Taster

I don't really "bunker" anything, but I'm just now getting to the point where I'll buy multiple bottles of something if it happens to make an unscheduled (and therefore fleeting) appearance at our state liquor stores. I'll buy as much Stagg as I can mail-order, and when I'm lucky enough to find something like VWFRR (one of my favorites, and I've only seen it once in these parts), I will again buy as much as I can.

I have no intention of keeping it locked up for years, though. I'm going to drink it. I made a promise to myself when I started getting into whisk(e)y that I would never not drink something I owned just because it was rare and/or expensive. If I own it, I'm going to drink it. Admittedly, some things are "special occasion" drinks that I won't pour casually while watching a movie. But they DO all get opened and poured.

Guru

Admittedly, some things are "special occasion" drinks that I won't pour casually while watching a movie. But they DO all get opened and poured.
    Same here. I still have three (non-bourbon) bottles from 1990 that are so special I have one drink or so, per year. Only on very special occasions. But I am drinking them and someday they will be gone.

Tim

Guru

Tim,

Hopefully we will all take the last sip of our last treasured bottle just seconds before the meteor hits. At least that's my hope.

In regard to the original question, I wonder whether a request for a definition is in order. If I buy two bottles of something, open one and set the other on a shelf to await its turn, is the second bottle bunkered? Is the answer the same if I were to buy a case and open one bottle immediately, with the intention to open the others in due course? What about a purchase of a single bottle of some rare or expensive bottling, which is set aside to be opened on some unspecified special occasions?

I can't even imagine buying a bottling, whether one bottle or a case, with no intention of opening and enjoying it. I suppose I might make an exception where there is a strong, personal element involoved. For example, if I were to manage to attend the KBF and if all the SB'ers present signed a sealed bottle for me (never mind which bottling), I might decide to leave it unopened forever (or the end of my life, whichever comes first). Then again, if the contents were sufficiently appealing, I might just polish it off and keep the empty.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Dave,
    I tend to think of all of your examples as 'bunkered'.
    All of my current bottles are one off. Of the 24 bottles currently on my shelves, 11 are not available in Australia and only 3 remain unopened -
    2004 Stagg which I'm saving for my wedding day in August.
    Wild Turkey Freedom - was only picked up last month - I'm waiting for an opportunity to open it.
    Blantons Original - haven't felt like drinking it, but will open it soon.
    Most of my bottles are kept for 'occasions'. I don't consume the good ones on my own watching TV

In my original post, I used Evan Williams SB as the example because a) it's available Downunder and b) each bottling is easily identified due to it vintage dating.
    I think I've posted later in the thread that my purpose in bunkering a couple of bottles of EW is so I can sit down and taste 4 or 5 different vintages in a few years time. To achieve this, I was thinking of purchasing 2 bottles of each vintage as the new ones are released. As the years progress and tastings occur, the older ones will eventually disapear.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Hopefully we will all take the last sip of our last treasured bottle just seconds before the meteor hits.
    I didn't know about this, How long do we have? I may need to change my consumption to time this better!

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Hopefully we will all take the last sip of our last treasured bottle just seconds before the meteor hits. At least that's my hope.

Then hopefully by the time it hits, I'll be well and truely passed out from consuming all of my Van Winkle & Stagg

Guru

Bobby,

My reference to a meteor was only a metaphor for that cosmic eventuality that awaits each of us. (Please pardon my phraseology; I'm on my fourth drink this evening. I get even more verbose when under the influence. )

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Enthusiast

Life is for living and Bourbon's for drinking, not keeping. BUT, when you know something is in limited supply and you can only drink so much in a week , then I do stock up, within reason. My current bunker:

VWFRR 13YO x 2
    GTS 2003 x 1

Compared to around 30 opened bottles of Bourbon at the moment.

I also plan to buy another bottles of the 1985 Van Winkle Rye to open at Xmas or something.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

My reference to a meteor was only a metaphor for that cosmic eventuality that awaits each of us
    Good thing! I'm not ready for a pensive summer.