Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Guru

Re: How many bottles do you bunker?

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>. . . I have three "minty fresh 1990 Toyota Tercels with 10 miles on the odometers." </pre><hr />

Yes, and continuing the analogy, someone may be willing to pay you $30K each for them. A year from now the market price may be $45K, or maybe it will be $10K -- or less. Therein lies a true dilemma.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Advanced Taster

2- EC 18yo, 4- ORVW 15yo, 1- EV 1994....

Advanced Taster

Let me try and take this in a different direction, as maybe my car analogy was a little narrow-minded.

Think about "bourboning" as similar to being a kid and collecting baseball cards. You and your buddies did it because it was fun. You liked a certain team, player, or card company, and your buddies had other favorites. Maybe there was a kid who tried to get one of every card. You traded them and collected them and had fun. Some people tried to see it as an investment where their card collection would pay for college, or a car, or whatever.

Now we have bourbon. We buy it, drink it, talk about it, share it, and have a good time. Everyone has their own favorite bourbon or distiller and their own way of enjoying bourbon. Some bunker everything and have bunker "queens" some don't bunker anything, some are saving a couple of bottles, but I hope everyone's goal and motivation is to have fun. Do what is fun for you. As long as you enjoy doing what you want with your bourbon, who cares what anyone else says.

That said, I plan to bunker Buffalo Trace, Bulleit, and EV SB '94. And drink everything else in sight!!!

Advanced Taster

I don't have a bunker. I open every bottle I buy.

What I do, though, is save the best bourbons for special occasions. Unfortunately, I am starting to get low on some of my best bourbons, many are "out-of-print." Darn!

My only hope is that other bourbons will be just as good some day and I can buy them when they are available. When I find them, I won't bunker them, but they will last longer, since I will have more of them.

Disciple

I have been thinking about another reason to bunker. I have a son who is 1 year 9 months old. I would like to bunker a bunch of bourbon that was bottled in the year he was born, even better would be some bottled in the month he was born. And then later, buy up some bourbon that was distilled in the year he was born. Single barrel vintage bourbon would work well for that. Be a while before any of that hits the shelves. Then wait till he is of age. Crack another one when he graduates from college and another when he gets married, the big promotion etc. Better get a bunch of bottles!
    Ed

Advanced Taster

I don't have a bunker. I open every bottle I buy.

What I do, though, is save the best bourbons for special occasions. Unfortunately, I am starting to get low on some of my best bourbons, many are "out-of-print." Darn!

It ain't cheap, but if you decide you like a particular spirit, you can buy backup bottles after you've opened and tasted your first bottle and decided that you like it. That way, you'll have some "proven to be nice" spirits around....

I do this with limited release bottlings quite often since I know that if I don't buy it now, I may never be able to buy it again.

Another nice thing is that if I know I have a backup bottle, I'm less hesitant to share the open bottle with friends.

Best of luck,

-monte-

Connoisseur

i hear ya! thanks for the recommendations! I will check them out for sure. I'm going to scout around and see what i can find at my local liquor stores.

i've been a JD drinker for years and still love the stuff. Looking forward to learning a lot more about bourbon from this board!

Advanced Taster

Well, If you love JD, which no disrespect intended is not even in the same universe as the better bourbons discuss here, you're gonna BE IN HEAVEN once you start tasting great bourbons!!

Connoisseur

yup and when i got that first bottle of Bookers, it was like unearthing a big ol' gold nugget!

the flavor and depth was astounding to me. i'm really excited to taste more great bourbons. this board is a great resource! thanks.

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Re: A Syntactical Note

Aptly said. Note taken.
    I was kidding about myself and apologize if I offended anyone else but me.
    Ed