Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What bourbon are you drinking now?

Since I am feeling sorry for myself as I am not going to Kentucky this weekend, I have been pulling out the good stuff. Last night was GTS, tonight Pappy 15. Tomorrow night, I don't know, but I do know it will be rare and expensive.

Connoisseur

I'm drinking Russell's Reserve, the way it was meant to be: 100 proof! And man, is it good!

Enthusiast

So, how much water do you have to add, then to get it from the bottle proof of 101 down to 100? Do you use an eye dropper to measure it out?

(Sorry for the sarcasm . . . . Besides, I would imagine that the stuff in the bottle can vary by a percent or two from the stated proof.)

Disciple

My Russell's Reserve is a memory, have to get another bottle soon. But the WT Rare Breed that I have is enough to keep me happy!

Tonight I started with a few sips from a flask of Blanton's Gold. Long break then I opened a bottle of Fighting Cock 103 proof 15 year old. Good stuff. A nice spicy bourbon, very flavorful. The finish is a little short. So, I went back to the Blanton's Gold. Sigh happily and enjoy the finish.... Then a pour of a 'lesser' Blanton's. Good, no, Great whiskey, but not as good as the Gold. Then there is the Blanton's of fond memory.... A bottle long dead, but much loved. I can't bring myself to throw it out somehow. I might have, just a sip, of the Rare Breed before I go to bed.
    Ed

Advanced Taster

This morning, I finally got the chance to buy George T. Stagg Spring, 2005, Lot B (131.8 proof), so I just opened a bottle and poured a glass. (Thanks for that opportunity, fine control state north of my "could even mess up a free lunch" "free" state!) Even on the first small sip, this is luxurious, definitive bourbon. I just don't see how bourbon could get better than this. And it doesn't need anything added, not even a drop of water. Wow, hats off to Buffalo Trace and all the good folks there! Ed V., finally able to join in the fun of the last two LONG months.

Apprentice

Two fingers of Weller Antique with one ice cube.

Disciple

Old Grand Dad 114 with a dollop of water. I always drink my whiskey neat (Booker's, no problem), but the 114 with its high proof plis rye burn has made me cry uncle. Wonderful bourbon. Has anyone compared the regular OGD, neat, to the 114 cut to the same proof?
    Ed
    PS. I may need to rethink the Edward_call_me_Ed. Where did all these Eds come from? I go years without meeting another Ed. I can't even use the first letter of my last name, 'V' is taken. Edward doesn't work either, only my mom calls me that and only when she is mad...

Virtuoso

Knob Creek 9yo/100, bottled for Sam's Wine & Spirits.

Intensely sweet, with some orange and spice in the finish and a nice burn to it.

Next up, I'm going to pop open the bottle of '05 Stagg that has been staring at me for over a week.

I am visiting distant lands tonight -- enjoying a pair of recently-acquired Heaven Hill products not generally seen here -- the Rittenhouse 10yo BIB rye (from a 700ml bottle), and an Evan Williams 15yo (Japan bottling).
    The Rittenhouse is voluptuous, as ryes go, with summer-garden florals, pepper grass and burnt caramel on the nose, followed by a butterscotchy spice flavor and medium-long, menthol finish. It's a different breed of cat from the wonderful-too Eastern ryes lately enjoyed in Bardstown.
    Just as the EWSB is a richer, deeper version of the EW1783, this 15yo is another step up the ladder (or deeper into the barrel, perhaps). It has the dry, soft tannins of a mature red wine, but the buttery mouthfeel of a dessert Sauternes. Lovely, caramel-nut nose, lingering finish. Very nice.

Advanced Taster

Booker's neat from a snifter. surprisingly its been very smooth.