Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator in exile

Russell\'s Reserve 90 proof

Does anyone know anything about this bottle I picked up today? It is a 90 proof expression of Russell's Reserve (Usually 101) and it's in a bottle similar to the Tribute/Freedom. Do I have a new or older expression?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator in exile

Re: Russell\'s Reserve 90 proof

Here's another picture showing a little more detail.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Guru

Jeff,

Here's hoping it's an older or export-only bottling. Word to the contrary would force me to lay in a case or more of the 101 proof version (after consulting the actuarial tables for a 62 year-old male).

Just out of curiousity, where did you buy it? A mom 'n' pop store or a liquor Mega Lo Mart?

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Administrator in exile

Dave,

I picked it up a Thoroughbred Liquors in Lexington, A relatively large liquor store, though smaller than the LB's. Sal, the owner, is a bourbon guy and regularly has older/harder to find items (The man has layed-in for what looks like 100 bottles of the new Stagg). It was a lone bottle behind some Pewter-topped Kentucky Spirits, and was next to an entire row of the traditional Russell's Reserve. I wonder if it was found in the back? I didn't know RR was ever 90 proof though. The label looks a little too tattered to be brand new.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

I know all about that one, Jeff. You are the owner of the new Russells Reserve at 90 proof. No idea if the 101 RR is going to become history yet. It is available only in Ky until September and beyond. With the national rollout then. I saw some today as well but was busy cleaning off a shelf, as it were.

I had mixed feelings seeing that and that perhaps the 101 hertitage is being forsaken, that said, it should be one of the best 10 year 90 proof bourbons available.

Administrator in exile

Thanks Bobby

Unfortunately I thought I had something rare for a moment (I guess I actually do for a little while ) Anyway, I think I'll bring this to the Gazebo this weekend and gauge everyone's opinion on it.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

It was a lone bottle behind some Pewter-topped Kentucky Spirits, and was next to an entire row of the traditional Russell's Reserve.
    That should change soon, I saw a Point of Sale display similiar to the 1792 or the Knob Creek one where there are about 3 layers of maybe 12 each Those were lined up 3X4. And some conspicious poster type signage on that. Dave may be right, start laying in the 101 RR unless we get word that both are to be available.

Kudos to Wild Turkey for remembering Kentucky first on this one, maybe they heard some clamor!

Connoisseur

Folks, I hope they keep the current Russell bottle (and proof) as well.

It's not just the watering down that bugs me. Switching to the same bottle as Freedom and Tribute, it looks like a cost-cutting move. The original Russell Reserve bottle has an elaborate etched bird with painted lettering on the glass -- much classier than this Knob Creek look-alike paper label. Makes me wonder if the regular 101 Turkey bottle will be next.
    Omar

Advanced Taster

You know what all of this means, don't you? Time to turn some 101 proof Russell's into a bunker queen!

Guru

I hope you are wrong, but I fear that you're not.

Tim