Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Russell\'s Reserve 90 proof

A couple of us did ask Jimmy about it directly at the Gazebo following the Sampler, and he confirmed that the 101 will be permanently phased out as the 90-proof version enters each market (so they will, apparently, coexist for a while, but for separate markets). It currently is only available in KY (so the 101 there is limited to what's in supply right now), and will enter new markets as production ramps up.

Enthusiast

I trust that this change will only be made (for now) to the Russell's Reserve, and not to their main product.

Time to stock up!

Taster

I purhcased a bottle of the new lower proof Russell's Reserve in Louisville this weekend along with 3 of the 101 proof...same price for both.

Jon

Enthusiast

"Say it ain't so, Joe! Say it ain't so!"

I feel just like the small boy quoted above upon finding out that the White Sox threw the World Series.

I am... flabbergasted. This is absolutely one of the most bone-headed things I have seen or heard of in recent memory. Now, I don't mean to pass judgement before trying the new product, but I absolutely adore the 101 proof RR. It irks me something fierce to see the Wild Turkey brand ruined by the same block-headed whiz-kids who dropped the proof on JD (not that, IMHO, JD was anything special to begin with).

As much as I respect Jimmy Russell, Wild Turkey has now lost my business. More and more, it seems that Buffalo Trace is the only American distillery left with a respect for tradition and fine bourbon.

Who knows, the RR 90 proof could be an incredible product. Maybe the extra water opens up the additional flavors. All I know is that if I want water in my whiskey, I'll add it my damn self. Funny that if the product had always been 90 proof, I probably wouldn't be reacting this way. But by God, when the man who is the heart and soul of the Wild Turkey distillery wants to bottle his whiskey at 101 proof, that's how I want to drink it. This lack of respect for Jimmy and for the consumer is unpardonable.

I also don't understand the logic behind their statements - they are trying to compete with Knob Creek... Knob Creek is 100 proof... how is dropping for 101 to 90 proof going to make it easier to compete? Oh well. It's always sad to see an icon of the industry looted and plundered for short term gain, but I suppose we'll all have to start expecting this to happen more regularly.

Guru

I got the same song and dance as the others at the WT table at the Sampler. After being told of the demographics and that it was a marketing decision I could only shake my head incredulously. I know it's beating a dead horse but here are my two cents.

Russell's Reserve is an established well received product that fills a niche between the standard 101 and the barrel proof offering of Rare Breed. If they want to open up a market aimed at the "younger bourbon drinker" who desires a lower proof, and at the same time utilizing the bottles they are now using, why not create a new product that is 90 proof from the beginning? Why risk alienating those of us who love the existing product? They could call it Wild Turkey Tacky Tatoo or Wild Turkey Bling or even Wild Turkey Too Lazy to Get Up Off the Couch and Get a Job. The last thing this new generation seems to want is anything Reserved. So reserve it for US please. And listen to Jimmy for goodness sake. He's the one lining your pockets.

Advanced Taster

But by God, when the man who is the heart and soul of the Wild Turkey distillery wants to bottle his whiskey at 101 proof, that's how I want to drink it. This lack of respect for Jimmy ....is unpardonable.

Couldn't agree more.

Taster

Funny thing is before I even read this thread, I had just finished off a bottle of RR that had been sitting mostly empty for awhile. While sipping away I thought to myself what a great whiskey this is, I shouldn't overlook it so much and then I went out and immediately replaced the bottle I had just finished. Bunker queens indeed seem to be the order of business.

Enthusiast

One thing I will say for them . . . At least they put it in a different bottle and a new label, instead of trying to sneak it in under the radar like Jack Daniels (and others) have done.

Guru

But by God, when the man who is the heart and soul of the Wild Turkey distillery wants to bottle his whiskey at 101 proof, that's how I want to drink it. This lack of respect for Jimmy ....is unpardonable.

Couldn't agree more.

Me, either.

Tim

Taster

Side by Side...90 proof vs 101. No comparison. IMO the water kills the flavor. No finish compared to the 101 proof. I wonder what the market is for an open bottle of 90 proof Russell's Reserve.

Jon