Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Wathens available again!

The new stuff is a 94 proof single barrel which is 10 years old...
    Does the labeling now carry an age statement? None of the bottles I have or have seen do so.

Virtuoso

I can't find an age statement for my bottle, from barrel 228, bottled on 3-21-05.

-Roger

Guru

Tim,
    There is no age statement on the bottle, but if you contact the distillery they will tell you that it is 10 years old.
    Joe

Well, a Joe suggested, I emailed the Medleys and asked about provenance and age. They did not divulge the age, but did dispel some suspicions that this is/was Yellowstone/Glenmore bourbon. Here is the entire text of the response:
    "Tim -

Wathen's Kentucky Bourbon is not, nor has been, from Yellowstone/Glenmore distilleries. I do not know of any brand to direct you to if you are seeking product from that distillery.

Thanks.

SAM Medley
    8th Generation Distiller
    Wathen's Kentucky Bourbon"

Connoisseur

Wathen's Kentucky Bourbon is not, nor has been, from Yellowstone/Glenmore distilleries
    Interesting. Somehow I regarded it as an established fact that at least the early bottlings was the real thing. What happened then, to the barrels that Charles Medley were supposed to have retained for himself?

Got my bottle earlier this week, by the way (older than I thought, 'handbottled 4-30-02). I have to say that it showed more than just a little resemblance to 10yo AAA. To pass a fair judgment I have to spend some more time with it, though.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

So there's a chance it's been Heaven Hill bulk whiskey all along, talk about fact being potentially stranger than fiction!

I too had thought it may have been a bourbon that Charles had a hand in making as well.

Virtuoso

Bobby,
    Do you say it may be Heaven Hill based on tasting, or solely on speculation?

My taste buds tell me anything BUT Heaven Hill, but YMMV.

Roger

Connoisseur

Bobby,

My taste buds tell me anything BUT Heaven Hill, but YMMV.

Roger
    I agree with Roger...Wathen's tastes like no Heaven Hill bourbon I've ever had!

Virtuoso

Wathens - Just Another Bottle !?!

After having no luck in getting an East Bay source for Wathen's (sources said they couldn't even get a response), I asked my dad to go back to the store in Napa where I got my first bottle to pick up a couple extra. When he went in and asked for it by name one store worker turned to another, said he'd never heard of it before, and asked if she had ever tried it.

"Ya, it's just another bottle," she replied.

I wholeheartedly disagree. It's great, great stuff. Just not much distribution - or any advertising.

By the way, the two new bottles were from barrels 224 and 228 (which my first bottle was), both bottled on 3-21-05.

Roger - Just another bottle, please - Hodges
    -

Guru

Tim,
    Just opened a bottle from barrel 205 (10/7/04) that I got at the House Of Bourbon (30 bucks)in Owensboro during a visit in April. The stuff is super. I wish I would have gotten more.
    Joe