Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Wathens - Just Another Bottle !?!

I may have seen several bottles of Wathen's on the shelf at Hi Time in Costa Mesa yesterday. (I was too busy cleaning out the Russell's Reserve to commit to memory all the others I passed up.) If you'd like to lay in a stash, I suggest you give them a call.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Advanced Taster

I may have seen several bottles of Wathen's on the shelf at Hi Time in Costa Mesa yesterday. (I was too busy cleaning out the Russell's Reserve to commit to memory all the others I passed up.)
    What price did you get the WTRR for??

What a fine pour...

-monte-

P.S. to be on topic, I have not seen any new Wathens up here at all, including at places that have shelf markers for Wathens... so it goes!!

Guru

I left the sales slip at my son's house back in CA. (We made a combined purchase on a single credit card transaction.) I believe the shelf price was $26.99, but since I asked for a case, but they had only nine bottles, I was supposed to get the case discount. I can't verify whether I did.

I had already cleaned out BevMo in Torrance (a mere two bottles), but a very attentive clerk there told me they have another shipment coming in next week -- not that I care now or that it would do me any good, having returned to Arizona today. I can only guess whether it will be the old bottling or the new, low-proof bottling. Their price was $28.99.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Enthusiast

FYI, the AZ pricing looks like what I see in GA, although sometimes more; maybe gets as low as the CA price. All here that I've seen is still the real stuff.
    Bob

Guru

Hijack Alert! Russell\'s Reserve Pricing

Bob,

The prices I quoted are from CA, where I visited over Fathers Day, not AZ.

The lone bottle of Russell's Reserve that I have found in AZ (Prescott) had actually been marked down -- to $23.99, IIRC. It literally qualified for the "Dusty, Old Bottles" thread.

In general, prices in the Prescott area are 5-15% higher than at Hi Time in Costa Mesa, CA. Based on selected price checks by phone at Sportsman's in Phoenix, their prices are similar to local prices, certainly not enough of a savings to justify a two-hour drive each way.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Enthusiast

Re: Hijack Alert! Russell\'s Reserve Pricing

Yes, I now see that I misread your earlier post. It can be interesting to look at pricing in different states, or even among local stores, and satisfying to think we know where to shop for what. But if I really sit down and figure it out, I suspect I'd often find myself burning $2 in gas to save $1 on bourbon, or any other product I try to "maximize." I suspect that a knowledge of what is available where is probably the most that I can hope to hold in my head, and that seems to vary more than price. And, to return this thread to its roots, I believe I have only seen one bottle of Wathens, and was already maxed out that day.
    Bob

Guru

Re: Wathens available again!

Wathen's Kentucky Bourbon is not, nor has been, from Yellowstone/Glenmore distilleries. I do not know of any brand to direct you to if you are seeking product from that distillery.

Thanks.

SAM Medley
    8th Generation Distiller
    Wathen's Kentucky Bourbon"
    This is all very interesting. Sam Medly is an 8th generation distiller but evidently has no distillery. Interesting. Wathens is also bottled in California. Interesting. Anybody know by whom??
    Joe

Virtuoso

I believe Wathen's is now bottled by Frank-Lin of San Jose (bottlers for a supermarket near you!). Can't remember where I heard that.

Roger

Guru

I currently have bottles from Barrel 10 (3/27/1997) -- this is the bottling the Regans use in "The Bourbon Companion" tasting -- and 146 (2/7/2003). The others I've seen around are from 140-ish barrels, too. So, we seems to have some gaps covered, and others to fill.
    I just picked up 6 bottles (special order from the PALCB). Most of the bottles were from Barrel 83, dated 8-17-99. These were bottled in St. Louis, not California.
    Joe

Virtuoso

Wathens

In a different thread, Bourbon Joe pondered:
    I just got some Wathens SB from 1999. The case stated that they were made (bottled?) at DSP-MO-16. Does anyone know which distillery this is? Would this stuff be better than the new stuff out of California?
    I don't believe the whiskey is different, but rather railed out to San Jose for bottling.

Following is a post from 1999 by John Lipman, which seems to have been contradicted by a communication between Charles (sorry, it was Sam) Medley and Tim TN earlier in this thread. His thoughts were similar to many others voiced on this forum:
    "Wathen's Bourbon" thread 1999
    Yes, he's the same Charles Wathen Medley who used to be the master distiller at Glenmore. According to what he told us, it's a classic case of follow-the-twisty-trail-of-who-owns-what in the bourbon business. National Distillers bought out Glenmore. Then Barton Brands bought the distillery property and the brands from National. But they didn't buy the existing stock. Well, National didn't want the existing stock, either, so Charlie bought it and moved it across town (Owensboro) to one of the warehouses at his family's old abandoned distillery. So now the Charles W. Medley Distilling Company, which doesn't actually do any distilling, and probably doesn't have the yeast or the rights to the formula either, owns a warehouse full of barrels of fine whiskey which Charles Medley actually made. Pretty cool, huh?

Up until last summer, Charlie, his son, and couple of other partners hand-bottled the product at the distillery on a tiny bottling line he had made up just for the purpose (the stainless steel holding tanks hold 58 gallons or about a single barrel's worth). We have a bottle from barrel number 4. But at the time we were there he was finalizing negotiations to have David Sherman take over distribution. As you probably know, the relationship with David Sherman goes back to the Glenmore days. Wathen's is really good bourbon. Charlie wouldn't tell me the age, but you figure, if it's been sitting in barrels since Charlie was making it for Glenmore....
    . By the way, later in the thread he states he meant United, not National Distillers.

I can't locate the quote at the moment, but I'm pretty sure I've read a statement by Charles Medley that they went to Frank-Lin of San Jose because of difficulties in having the bottling done by David Sherman of St. Louis, Missouri (where your bottle seems to be from).

By the way, are you going to Bourbon Festival? Tim TN and I had both thought about bringing different bottlings of Wathens to compare in a vertical. Would you like to bring a bottle of yours and we could perhaps make this happen?

Roger

Edit: I just noticed it was actually Sam Medley, not Charles Medley who had the email exchange.