Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Re: Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year 107 Proof?

Some of the Frankforts are SW too as I recall. Anything bottled since last summer in Frankfort is Bernheim. There's probably some lot number info available which would help distinguish Frankfort bottled SW and Frankfort bottled Bernheim. As Julian has said, they are different enough in taste to identify.....but both are very good bourbons.

Randy

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

And each bourbon can serve for a different purpose. I happened at Sampler to take a shot of ORVW 12 year old Lot B after one of the desserts there, not a bourbon ball but some kind of pie (like a derby pie). It was the best possible combination one could imagine.

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

I certainly hope it was the Van Blankle 12yo Gary????? LOL.

Randy

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Well that would have made it even better.

Gary

Advanced Taster

I have not tried Old Grand Dad.

My first premium bourbon was ORVW 10 yo, 107. I thought is was pretty good. After buying the ORVQ 15yo, 107, I prefer much more than the 10 yo, even at the much higher price. I even like it over the 20 yo VW Family Reserve. In my opinion, a close second to the ORVW 15 yo is the 12 yo (Van Winkle).

Advanced Taster

Woohoo! I found a Lawrenceburg bottle of ORVW 10 year.
    So it must be bottled before 1992. I just opened it and can say its fantastic! I found my common pour. I still like the OGD 114 though, but this wheater is so smooth and sweet...mmmmm.

PS: they had a few bottles of 16year Hirsh for $66 each, too much for my wallet, I wanted it bad though. George T, Stagg is hard to get if not impossible in my store, but they carry all the Van Winkles, except have the 20 yr on order, and a wide assortment of great bourbons.

...they had a few bottles of 16year Hirsh for $66 each, too much for my wallet...
    Actually, that would be an excellent price today, especially for the wax-top version(s). Around here, even the seemingly lesser gold-foil -- the current and last bottling -- runs around $75 before tax. The gold-wax version is still a rare find, at about the same price.

Apprentice

Where, may I ask, were you so lucky to find the Lawrenceburg bottling?

Advanced Taster

I live in Oregon and we have state controlled Liquor stores. I called around and found this one store only in Downtown Portland called "Uptown LiQuor". They sell to the premium downtown restaurants and stock a lot of high end bourbons, including the 16 year Hirsh and they have some George T. Stagg on order. They had the old squat bottles on the shelf. So I found the Old Rip Van Winkles and reached to the back of the stack and checked on the labels until I found the Lawrenceburg bottling. I found a 10 and a 15 year old and bought both. They had a few more left, but my wallet was drained. I heard that they were rare, now I know why. They taste so darn good.
    Thank you Van Winkles!

Guru

I would choose the ORVW 10 year old. I have had both and much prefer the ORVW.
    Joe