Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bourbon clubs?

Enthusiast

Re: Bourbon clubs?

It appears that there is plenty of interest. At the risk of being tedious or dogmatic, I have a few ideas about logistics I thought I would throw out there.

Hopefully the SB moderators would be willing to open a new forum, "Bourbon of the Month Club". On the first day of the month, that month's selection would be posted, and for the rest of that month, club participants could post comments about that bourbon. I see no need to limit the conversation to just tasting notes---history, anecdotes, availability information, etc., as long as they are related to that month's selection, would be appropriate. Over time, this could become a useful repository of basic information about various brands and expressions.

So, how to pick the selections? I figure that honor/duty could rotate among active club participants. Hopefully, that could be done by general agreement (volunteering, or acclaimation) without rancor or hurt feelings.

I think it would be gentlemanly to let participants with limited availability pick at least the first few, to ensure wide participation. Given his unfortunate situation, how's about having Tim pick something for June?

These are just ideas, obviously, but I think the club is a neat idea and I just thought I would suggest a framework to help get it off the ground. If anyone has other ideas, please don't hesitate to post them. Feel free to disagree or criticize anything I said.

The Other Chuck

Connoisseur

It might work best to start with some that are widely available, to encourage participation.
    Craig

Guru

Craig,

Right! As I'm sure TOC intended to imply, if Alabama Tim (in contrast to Tennessee Tim) can get it (designated bourbon of the month), anyone can. (However, those of us who live out in the sticks and/or cacti may need a little lead time.)

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Administrator in exile

OK, as I stated earlier, we are getting ready to implement some new features on the main site that will spill over onto the forum similar to what everyone is suggesting. That said, there is no reason not to start a monthly thread on a particular bourbon, with the understanding that it will change slightly in the future. I am willing to start the thread on June 1st. That should give sufficient time for all interested to procure themselves a bottle. For now we'll pin it to the top of the General forum, but tasting notes are more than welcome there. I'm going to suggest Knob Creek as the 1st BOTM, as it is a premium product readily available throughout the country. Unless someone can make a good argument to the contrary, that's what it will be.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Jeff, you beat me to posting a reminder re your previous post and the upcomming new features

I applaud the choice of Knob Creek - as far as i know it is available in most of the 'other' countries (ie outside US) that participate on the forum as well .......plus, I've been looking for an excuse to buy a bottle for months

Guru

It works for me. Knob Creek is one of the two or three things that are still available, here.

Tim

Enthusiast

Works for me, Knob Creek was my first premium Bourbon, it will be fun to revisit it.

Connoisseur

KC is a good choice for me, too. I can get it within a week´s notice.

Disciple

Knob Creek !!!
    I even have an unopened bottle. I may have trouble keeping it that way... I guess I will be jumping the gun.

I will be in the States, away from that bottle, the first two weeks of June. I will be buying a bottle to drink while there and was already thinking about getting a Knob Creek. I will have to see what is on the shelf before I commit myself. But I need to get something really good or I will crack open one of the three Spring Staggs waiting for me there. I want to bring those puppies home!
    Ed

Guru

No problems here with Knob Creek, but maybe going forward, as Chasking says we can rotate the picks of bourbons by different members. Say the first person to offer tasting notes gets to pick five to nominate for the next month and then everyone has all month long to PM him or her if they can't get the bottle. The one most people can procure is the next month's bottle. Just a suggestion. Take it and run if you can improve on it.