Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Taster

WT Rare Breed Label (?)

Does the marking on Rare Breed bottles like "WT 01-99" have any significance, like a bottling date for example? 01/99 happens to be the month and year my wife and I were married, so naturally I was pleasantly surprised to see this on a great bourbon like Rare Breed. It's also a great excuse to add to my growing collection of bunkered spirits. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Enthusiast

Re: WT Rare Breed Label (?)

I've always assumed that they're actual batch numbers, like they are claimed to be. If that is true, then they must bottle a bunch of RB every few years and warehouse it.

I base all of this conjecture on the fact that, for quite a while, the only RB I could find was WT-01-99, and I never was all too crazy about that "batch". The newer batch, WT-03RB, I find much more appealing.

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

I believe that Rare Breed batch W-T-01-99 (108.4 proof) is third batch of Rare Breed bottled and the first of them to use the turkey label. The first two batches about which I am aware, W-T-01-95 (109 proof) and W-T-01-97 (108.6 proof), had cream-colored, no turkey labels.

Gobble gobble.

i have the WT-03RB, and its the only one ive had. it was one of my first bourbons i had tasted and enjoyed so much that i started getting into the bourbon scene.

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

I believe that Rare Breed batch W-T-01-99 (108.4 proof) is third batch of Rare Breed bottled and the first of them to use the turkey label. The first two batches about which I am aware, W-T-01-95 (109 proof) and W-T-01-97 (108.6 proof), had cream-colored, no turkey labels.
    I must have the first batch then.....the bottle I have says W-T-01-93 (110.8 proof). No turkey on the label.

Dawn

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

I must have the first batch then.....the bottle I have says W-T-01-93 (110.8 proof). No turkey on the label.

Dawn
    Well done Dawn! This is the first I have heard of this '93 batch of Rare Breed.

Advanced Taster

A friend brought over a similar WTRB bottle to a tasting, and on the back label, there's a dot matrix printed date of 02/17/93 08:16, so I assume that's a bottling date and time. The front label is also turkey-less and the neck says batch W-T-03-93, 55.7% ALC/VOL (111.4 proof).

Pretty good whiskey, and not fundamentally different than what they bottle now as WTRB (aside from proof) but honestly, I prefer Russel's Reserve these days. A fine pour...

Regards,

-monte-

Enthusiast

Pretty good whiskey, and not fundamentally different than what they bottle now as WTRB (aside from proof) but honestly, I prefer Russel's Reserve these days. A fine pour...
    Then stock up on RR, because they're dropping it to 90 proof and putting it in a cheap-looking bottle.

Advanced Taster

Then stock up on RR, because they're dropping it to 90 proof and putting it in a cheap-looking bottle.
    Yep, that fine control state to your east has a sale on both Rare Breed and Russel's Reserve, and also is running a 15% case sale (both of which end Monday). Needless to say, I've put some RR in the bunker!!

Thanks,

-monte-

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

Does anyone really know when the first batch of Rare Breed was released? This weekend I bought a bottle with the old label (no turkey) and the label indicates it is WT-01-91 (109.6 proof). The other batches already identified are:
    W-T-01-93 (110.8 proof)
    W-T-03-93 (111.4 proof)
    W-T-01-95 (109 proof)
    W-T-01-97 (118.6 proof)
    *W-T-01-99 (108.4 proof) *New labels with the turkey*
    *WT-03RB ??

Is that it?
    Dawn