Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Sazerac Cocktail

Two ounces of the rye for the set-up is fine, yes, that is what I would use. I don't think a dash of Cointreau would hurt if combined with Angostura or Peycheaud's bitters, in fact that combo would resemble (close enough) orange bitters - but not too much Cointreau, just enough to impart a light sweetness. I've seen recipes which use either form of bitters by the way.

Gary

Advanced Taster

The only Sazerac I've had was at the Sheraton in the Big Easy this spring. I ordered it with Maker's and was suitably impressed. I'm sure a more traditional version would be even better.

Enthusiast

Best Saz I ever had was the one at Delmonico on St. Charles Ave. in New Orleans. They took some pretty heavy damage though--not sure when they'll reopen. Everyone swears by the Napoleon House--I've somehow missed that joint every time I've been to NO.

Enthusiast

Why not use Regan's Orange Bitters? You can get them from the BTD gift shop. Just go to www.buffalotrace.com and go to the Gift Shop. It is listed under food.

Ken

Connoisseur

I took a glass, rinsed it in absinthe (legal in Ontario - you can use pastis or any other licorice liqueur in the States).
    Would green Chartreuse work for this?? Can't think of anything in the cabinet with that flavor, exactly.

Ken

I've never had Chartreuse, I'm not sure. The flavor needed is of licorice. Pernod and Ricard have it, also, Greek Ouzo and Lebanese Arrack. Any of those would be good, and they are not high cost items. Herbsaint would work, too, a New Orleans version of these drinks.

Gary

Connoisseur

Chartreuse is an odd bird. It's "herbal" tasting, some mint, some anise..... I may give it a shot (but I wish I had a baseline taste in my mind to compare it to ;0. It's one of those "originally distilled to give health benefits" distillates. I have a glass about once a year.... You should try some. I can just imagine the combinations you'd come up with, Gary!

I did some bad things to my head last year in Greece and there is no ouzo in this house!

Ken

Disciple

I never did report on my Sazerac experiment.

I used two oz of Wild Turkey Rye.

A dash Martini Bitter Aperitif and Cointreau. These two added up to less than 5 ml.

And 5 ml of Absente absinthe.

Gary, you said that you didn't use ice but didn't mention if you added water or not. I tried it straight up and it was interesting. The Absinthe dominated the drink. I thought I would have enjoyed the rye better neat though. The same with the absinthe really. I did a web search and found another recipe that did call for ice and also a twist of lemon. While reading that recipe I remembered that I had neglected to add any syrup. I hadn't drunk much of it yet, only a few sips, so I went back to work on it. I made a simple sugar syrup. I just swirled a little sugar with some water in the bottom of a glass and then carefully poured the liquid into the cocktail leaving the undissolved sugar behind as dregs. I didn't have any lemons in the house so I added 1 or 2 ml of lemon extract and 3 or 4 ml of lemon juice. I then added ice and swirled that into the drink. I don't know if what I made can really be called a Sazerac, but it sure tasted good. I later made up another one with just one shot of rye and more Cointreau and the Bitter Aperitif, maybe 5 ml each. I tried to keep the other ingredients in the same proportions to the rye as before. I think that was a little better.

I will continue to experiment and will pick up the proper Peychoud's bitters if I happen to see it.
    Ed

I'd give it a try Ken, it sounds like it would work well.

Gary

It all sounds excellent. I never add water, no. However some sugar syrup is essential, it really marries the other ingredients and is an invariable part of the recipe (according to many I have read). Your adaptation of bitters sounds fine. Try it again with a little less Absente, it needs only a hint of same, ditto the bitters or substitute (two or three drops of each is enough).

Gary