Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

View Poll Results: Wheated or Rye

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wheat

43 43.88%
  • Rye

55 56.12%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Preference Poll - Wheat or Rye?

Last night I was a dinner guest of a group of Scotch Whisky distillers and retailers. When it came time to order, I was torn between steak and salmon. I like them both and had to decide. Kind of like deciding between Buffalo Trace (rye) and Weller 12 (wheat). They are very different, but if I had to choose, I would go with the rye. To me, rye is like the entree and wheat is the dessert.

Ken

Advanced Taster

Give me Old Rip Van Winkle of Pappy and I am in heaven. The wheat makes the whiskey like silk and sweet as candy.

Disciple

Hi There,
    I am not going to vote. I can't resist the topic though. I really love rye and thought that I didn't like wheaties. Early on I tried a bottle of Maker's Mark Red and liked it then I tried a whole bunch of other whiskies, scotch, Japanese malts and blends and, of course, bourbons. Then I got another bottle of MM Red and wasn't impressed at all. After that I thought that any too mild bourbon was a wheatie and that was why I didn't like it. Some of those turned out to be ryes.

Then I got a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year old. That sure changed my mind in a hurry! I went back to the MM Red and liked it better than I had though it didn't match the ORVW 10. The wheaties are growing on me, though I haven't had many yet. I haven't seen the Weller's on the shelves. I have seen Old Fitzgerald but haven't gotten any yet. It may be a while before I do. I figure I spent over 2000 dollars on whiskey the first third of this year. I have to drink some of it before making any new purchases....

Anyway, I'm undecided till I can conduct more research!
    Ed

Enthusiast

I'm with all who said "it depends," but I still voted for rye. It seems that I have go a bit up the $ scale on wheat before I stop saying "Hmmm, needs ice." Really, every wheater I can think of this side of ORVW 10 yr I find notably lacking. But many rye bourbons on the middle, or even bottom, shelf are multi-dimensional winners.
    Bob

I voted rye. Aside from Stagg, which is in a class by itself, my favorite bourbon is ER17, another rye. There are some pretty good wheaties too. I am open to doing additional sampling and changing my mind.

Novice

Probably a dumb question, but is there a list somewhere of which major bourbons are wheaters and which push the rye? I don't know enough yet to know if I have a preference or a trend - my favorites right now are ER10, EC12, Woodfords, and Rare Breed.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

I don't know enough yet to know if I have a preference or a trend - my favorites right now are ER10, EC12, Woodfords, and Rare Breed.

Not a wheater in that bunch.

They are ( Wheaters) The Vanwinkles, WL Weller, Old Fitzgerald, Rebel Yell, Maker's Mark.

Advanced Taster

Rye is pulling a big lead!!!

Advanced Taster

Bob,

I'll agree. It does depend. And I started the poll. My main reason for the poll is to see where the taste of this group of real bourbon drinkers leans. This whole thing came to mind when I bought a bottle of Makers after not having it on my shelf for a very long time (harder to get bottles took center stage). Well, I always liked MM. But when I tasted my first pour in several months, I was disappointed. Lacks character. Your "ice" statement is right on! I have an opened bottle of Weller 19. Wheaty as it gets, right? (It's the other side of the fence from Stagg...) Now THAT is a good whiskey. I do also like the smoothness and sweetness of Rebel Yell. One of my favorite everyday type pours. But my heart goes to the rye!

Thanks everyone who voted so far and to everyone who will.

Enthusiast

Well, my "notably lacking" comment may have been too much. I like Rebel Yell over ice as a good, cheap, relaxing pour. Similar likes for Weller SR, MM, and Old Fitz, although "cheap" doesn't really fit the MM. Basically, all bourbon is good for me, I just seem to get more out of the rye recipes.

Haven't seen a bottle of Weller 19, but if I do, I'll probably get it on the strength of the Centennial I have, and comments here.

Bob