Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Taster

WT Rare Breed Label (?)

Does the marking on Rare Breed bottles like "WT 01-99" have any significance, like a bottling date for example? 01/99 happens to be the month and year my wife and I were married, so naturally I was pleasantly surprised to see this on a great bourbon like Rare Breed. It's also a great excuse to add to my growing collection of bunkered spirits. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Enthusiast

Re: WT Rare Breed Label (?)

I've always assumed that they're actual batch numbers, like they are claimed to be. If that is true, then they must bottle a bunch of RB every few years and warehouse it.

I base all of this conjecture on the fact that, for quite a while, the only RB I could find was WT-01-99, and I never was all too crazy about that "batch". The newer batch, WT-03RB, I find much more appealing.

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

I believe that Rare Breed batch W-T-01-99 (108.4 proof) is third batch of Rare Breed bottled and the first of them to use the turkey label. The first two batches about which I am aware, W-T-01-95 (109 proof) and W-T-01-97 (108.6 proof), had cream-colored, no turkey labels.

Gobble gobble.

i have the WT-03RB, and its the only one ive had. it was one of my first bourbons i had tasted and enjoyed so much that i started getting into the bourbon scene.

Taster

Here's the answer to my question from the Wild Turkey customer service department,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us about Wild Turkey Bourbon. We
    always enjoy hearing from loyal customers.

Please be advised, unfortunately, this is just a batch number and has
    nothing to do with the bottling date.

Oh well, too bad about the date, but I'll pick one up anyway.

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

I believe that Rare Breed batch W-T-01-99 (108.4 proof) is third batch of Rare Breed bottled and the first of them to use the turkey label. The first two batches about which I am aware, W-T-01-95 (109 proof) and W-T-01-97 (108.6 proof), had cream-colored, no turkey labels.
    I must have the first batch then.....the bottle I have says W-T-01-93 (110.8 proof). No turkey on the label.

Dawn

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

I must have the first batch then.....the bottle I have says W-T-01-93 (110.8 proof). No turkey on the label.

Dawn
    Well done Dawn! This is the first I have heard of this '93 batch of Rare Breed.

Advanced Taster

A friend brought over a similar WTRB bottle to a tasting, and on the back label, there's a dot matrix printed date of 02/17/93 08:16, so I assume that's a bottling date and time. The front label is also turkey-less and the neck says batch W-T-03-93, 55.7% ALC/VOL (111.4 proof).

Pretty good whiskey, and not fundamentally different than what they bottle now as WTRB (aside from proof) but honestly, I prefer Russel's Reserve these days. A fine pour...

Regards,

-monte-

Enthusiast

Pretty good whiskey, and not fundamentally different than what they bottle now as WTRB (aside from proof) but honestly, I prefer Russel's Reserve these days. A fine pour...
    Then stock up on RR, because they're dropping it to 90 proof and putting it in a cheap-looking bottle.

Advanced Taster

Then stock up on RR, because they're dropping it to 90 proof and putting it in a cheap-looking bottle.
    Yep, that fine control state to your east has a sale on both Rare Breed and Russel's Reserve, and also is running a 15% case sale (both of which end Monday). Needless to say, I've put some RR in the bunker!!

Thanks,

-monte-