Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Guru

Evan Williams Black Label

For years I bought 90 proof Evan Williams Black Label as my go-to bourbon. I noticed some time ago that EW lowered the proof to 86. Does anyone know why? If it was a matter of economics, they should have just raised the price. I think all bourbon is better at 90 proof than 86. How do you all feel? I have since moved on to Ezra Brooks.

Re: Evan Williams Black Label

If they just raised the price, you'd notice. If they lower the proof, you might not, but it still amounts to a price increase because there's more water in the bottle for the same price.
    Many have done it:
    Jack Daniel's from 90 to 86 to 80; Evan Williams from 90 to 86; Jim Beam Black from 90 to 86; now/soon, Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve from 101 to 90; Jim Beam versions of Old Taylor, Old Crow and Old Grand-dad 86 to 80.
    Obviously, it's a pretty highly-regarded 'marketing' concept.

Enthusiast

Old Grandad to 80?

Is Beam actually doing this? My bottle shows 86, but it is maybe 6 months old. I keep it around for comparing to other stuff, but regularly have the 100 and 114 around.

I'll have to look the next time I'm in a store. Too bad. Especially when comparing the BIB and 114 to Beam's other proofs and prices, I thought the OGD line showed a good commitment on JB's part to the history of the product. Should have known better; I guess if the demand were there for the 114, they'd price it between Baker's and Booker's. Actually, I'm a little surprised they haven't tried to create that through marketing. Maybe we should be happy that Basil Hayden was sent out as it was and possibly forestalled any attempt to move OGD 114 up the price ladder.

Bob

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

Re: Old Grandad to 80?

Don't worry -- OGD's standard issue today is an 86.

In years past, however, OGD could be found as an 80. I have an OGD 80 from KY-14 in a 1992 bottle that I found in a hole in the wall shop on St. Maarten. I'm still kicking myself for not buying more.

Oops! Like Cliff, I have seen the older 80-proof bottlings. Guess you could say I was "grandfathering" (or would that be "Grand-dading"?) that data to the present.

Enthusiast

Well good. I take back all the negatives I wrote above, reserving the right to call them back up if Beam ever does get that into their heads. I may well have had some of the 80 proof years ago; I know OGD was in the rotation of some friends of friends in the early 80's. But all that sticks out in my mind from then in the OGD line is the 114. I do keep my eyes peeled for older stuff, though.

Bob

Apprentice

Economics. I agree with you in that I'd rather pay a little more. It's worth it to retain the integrity of the whiskey. Apparently, bean counters would rather compromise good whiskey than cut costs elsewhere. You've probably noticed that over the past couple of years Evan Williams has dramatically increased their ads in magazines. Guess they had to give up some proof to pay those bills. Use to be a regular staple with me as well. Now I've found replacements.

Apprentice

Here in California a 1.75 bottle of EW Black goes for 12 bucks on sale. I'm suprised it is not 80 proof.

Enthusiast

I enjoy the Single Barrel and noticed that the Black Label was on sale lately. How does the quality compare?

Enthusiast

I enjoy the Single Barrel and noticed that the Black Label was on sale lately. How does the quality compare?
    It doesn't. I don't often have occasion to use this particular graemlin, but:

(flame suit on)

I enjoy EWSB too, but there is a universe of difference between the single barrel and the bottom-shelf black label expression. It's aimed at people who think they're being ripped off if they have to pay ten whole dollars for a bottle of bourbon. At that level, I suppose it's about what you'd expect.