Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Taster

Re: Evan Williams Black Label

I enjoy the Single Barrel and noticed that the Black Label was on sale lately. How does the quality compare?
    Evan Williams Black Label happens to be a regular pour around here -- it's really the only one that I drink ice. I've had enough of it at this point where I might feel qualified to write some "tasting notes," but I'll save that for a later date.*

The last bottle of EWSB I had was a '95. I don't think you can really compare it to EW Black Label, but I will say that you can taste "hints" of each other (mint, metal, more dry than sweet, more rye than wheat) when tasted side-by-side. The EWSB is obviously the more refined product, but a half-gallon of Black Label is much easier on the wallet!

* I've been meaning to do a comparison between the last of my EWBL 7 year old, and the EWBL NAS (no age statement) which is now just hitting the shelves in SoCal. I've had just the tiniest sip (straight, in a wine glass) of the NAS at a friends house, but can't make a call on it. First impression was that it's the about the same...

Enthusiast

I've been meaning to do a comparison between the last of my EWBL 7 year old, and the EWBL NAS (no age statement) which is now just hitting the shelves in SoCal. I've had just the tiniest sip (straight, in a wine glass) of the NAS at a friends house, but can't make a call on it. First impression was that it's the about the same...
    I noticed both bottles on the shelf at Ralphs. So the no age statement is the more recent? Is it still 7 years?

Guru

I noticed both bottles on the shelf at Ralphs. So the no age statement is the more recent? Is it still 7 years?
    NO
    Joe

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NO
    Joe
    Oh Really...

Soooooooooo...what's in there?

Bettye Jo

Guru

Oh Really...

Soooooooooo...what's in there?

Bettye Jo
    Bettye Jo,
    According to your humble HH represenative at the Philadelphia Whiskey Fest, it is mostly now 5 year old product with a little bit of 7 year thrown in. He said HH did not wish to change the label to read "5 years old". He said HH needed the older whiskey for other bottlings.
    Joe

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

On the papers...A notation for the lines (about three weeks ago).

QUOTE:

All EW Black, use 7 year product, per Max.

Bettye Jo

Guru

Bettye Jo,
    I don't think the "dumpers" are following Max's orders. According to your very own marketing people, the age statement was removed because, by LAW, the youngest whiskey allowed in that bottle must be 7 years old and that is no longer the case. What a pity. First, a reduction from 90 to 86 proof and now using younger whiskey.

Enthusiast

Bettye Jo,
    I don't think the "dumpers" are following Max's orders. According to your very own marketing people, the age statement was removed because, by LAW, the youngest whiskey allowed in that bottle must be 7 years old and that is no longer the case. What a pity.
    I'd take Max's word over anyone in marketing in a heartbeat.

Guru

I'd take Max's word over anyone in marketing in a heartbeat.
    Well then maybe Max can explain why the age statement was taken off the bottle.
    Joe

...Well then maybe Max can explain why the age statement was taken off the bottle.
    Joe
    It's no secret that Heaven Hill is going to have a crunch of certain-aged whiskeys at certain periods of time following the November 1996 fire. For example, I wonder what will become of the Evan Williams Single Barrel after the 1996 issue. There is no 1997 or 1998 Heaven Hill distillate except what was made under contract from then-UDV Bernheim (HH didn't purchase it until 1999).
    I suspect that's what's happening now with the EW 7yo. With younger whiskey in the bottle, the label had to be changed. But it doesn't have to change again to put older whiskey back in the bottle. Max and the Heaven Hill folks have been eminently fair with consumers until now regarding both quality and price, and if he indicates that 7yo bourbon is/will be back in the bottle, I figure it's true.