Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Guru

Do Birds Flock Together?

While reading a thread about Eagle Rare it occurred to me that Wild Turkey's move to a 90 proof version of Russell's Reserve will make the Wild Turkey and Eagle Rare product lines align more closely.

I'm a fan of the ERSB. Does that mean I should calm down and cut the WT folks some slack? (A rhetorical question, especially given the de facto price increase inherent in that change.)

I recall someone here saying that Eagle Rare 101 was originally, shall I say, "inspired by" Wild Turkey 101. Could it be that the roles are now reversed?

I have yet to see the new bottle for Russell's Reserve. However, if they have replaced the current, beautifully painted bottle with a cheaper one, as I've heard, I suppose that fact would belie my theory.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Re: Do Birds Flock Together?

The new 90-proof Russell's Reserve bottle is the same as the Jimmy Russell Tribute bottle with, of course, different labeling.

Guru

I have no Russell's Reserve bottle to inspect, but I think you are mistaken about the "beautifully painted" labeling. Do you have one? If so, I think a close inspection will show it to be a clear plastic stick-on label.

I could be wrong. Please let me know what you find.

Tim

Guru

Tim,

I just now looked, but I'm not sure what I saw. Short of scraping an edge with a razor blade, I'm not sure how to tell. Because of my lack of knowledge about such processes, even that might not tell me anything.

Indeed the letters that spell out "Wild Turkey" appear to have a narrow, transparent border, suggesting a decal. However, the turkey has no such border that I can see, nor does the script "Russell's Reserve".

Even if it turns out to be applied as an entirety, the current (old?) label still looks classier to my eye than a paper label.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Enthusiast

It appears painted on to me, much like a silk-screen process (or however it is that they apply ink directly to the bottle).

Guru

Even if it turns out to be applied as an entirety, the current (old?) label still looks classier to my eye than a paper label.

Agreed!

To me, the new bottle & label is strongly reminiscent of Knob Creek packaging. Not bad for KC, but why imitate them?

Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

I have no Russell's Reserve bottle to inspect, but I think you are mistaken about the "beautifully painted" labeling. Do you have one? If so, I think a close inspection will show it to be a clear plastic stick-on label.

I could be wrong. Please let me know what you find.

Tim
    I think you have the wrong bird in mind, Tim. I believe that Fighting Cock 6 year old is the lone flyer in the clear plastic label flock.

Taster

I just checked my 3 bottles and all are silk screened, two of which I was fortunate to pick up for 16.49 each!

Guru

Okay, my mistake (I originally said I may have been wrong).

Cool.

Tim