Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Apprentice

Youngest bourbon in production?

I know US law states that bourbon has to be a minimum of two years old, but I don't think I've ever spotted anything under the age of four. I'm curious what a very young bourbon tastes like, and idea what brands I should be looking for?

Connoisseur

Re: Youngest bourbon in production?

Didnīt Old Crow used to have a 3yo-statement on the bottleneck but maybe thatīs a thing of the past?

It was ages since I last looked at a bottle.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I believe Ancient Age bourbon is 36 months old.

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

Kentucky Gold, the back label states...24 months old. It's available in a 4 year...and a blended 70/30 and 80/20 too.

Bettye Jo

Kentucky Gold, the back label states...24 months old. It's available in a 4 year...and a blended 70/30 and 80/20 too.
    Ah, yes -- from the famed "Quality Control Distilling Co.". Bettye Jo, do you happen to know where the bourbon version of this bottling is marketed? I've been trying to find it for some forum members, but all I can locate here in TN is the blended whiskey version (which, unsurprisingly, carries no age statement). I believe some of our Australian posters have noted its availability there. Is it export-only?

Apprentice

It's been awhile since I looked at a bottle of Old Crow also, but I too was under the impression that it is 3 yrs old.

Enthusiast

Old Crow

I'm pretty sure Old Crow says 36 months. I usually buy a bottle around the holidays for a lady who likes it. At $10 a liter, it is a cheap, amusing, yet appreciated, gift. Her husband is a scotch drinker and just shakes his head. I haven't tasted Old Crow in years.

I'm fairly sure I've seen something that says 24 months, but can't think what it was. A bottom Barton brand? I'll keep my eyes open.

Bob

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

These straight bourbons are among those whose labels proudly announce their status as three year olds:

Heaven Hill Ultra Deluxe
    J.W. Dant Olde
    Old 1889

Enthusiast

If you're in VA, Bowman's Bourbon (at least as Joe Dangler at A. S. Bowman led me to believe) is in the ballpark of 40 months old, sometimes less. Might be interesting to do a side-by-side of Bowman's with VG 90, the older, higher proof version of the same whiskey. Hmmm...you've inspired me to try that sometime!

I'm glad to see that you have an interest in young whiskey. I personally believe that young whiskey has a unique, lively character that I think tends to disappear beyond four years of aging. IMHO IW Harper 4 yo retains the liveliness and yet begins to have the "smoothness" of the barrel - the perfect example of a bourbon on the cusp. It's about to lose that lively "zing," but doesn't.

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

Kentucky Gold is not a export only kinda bottling...It's one of youngest 80 proof, 24 month, Kentucky Straight Bourbon's that I have labeled. One of the biggest blunders in a label machine operator's job is "overlooking" the back label with the small print (24 months old )

At one time, I held the title as label machine operator...for nearly seven years I don't miss that job at all!

I will check the codes to see where it's shipped.

Bettye Jo