Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator in exile

BOTM, 6/05: Knob Creek

Bourbon of the Month, June 2005:

Knob Creek

You've asked for it, and here it is, the first Straightbourbon.com bourbon of the month!

Post your comments, tasting notes and anecdotes here. This thread will stay pinned throughout the month of June, at which time another bourbon will be chosen for the follwing month...etc.

Sound off!

Enthusiast

Re: BOTM, 6/05: Knob Creek

I've been toying with buying a bottle of this stuff for over a year having had quite a few pours of it in a local pub. Nice but it's got that Jim Beam licorice edge, which puts me off ever so slightly. It's on the to 'get list' but not high up.

In the UK 'Knob' is slang for a man's 'little guy', which makes ordering a 'large Knob Creek' nigh on impossible

Administrator in exile

I don't get licorice so much as I do Maple in all Beam bourbons. For me the flavor works best in Baker's, but it's pleasant enough in KC as well. Initially I found KC to be rather hot and astringent, and I went about 2 years between bottles. I must admit that my impressions have changed considerably. I'm really enjoying this latest bottle.

Connoisseur

One of the better Beam variations IMO. I always have some around and think it is way ahead of their Basil Hayden's.

For future reference, just what are the standards for BOTM? Is it a popularity contest or just what you decide?

Administrator in exile

For future reference, just what are the standards for BOTM? Is it a popularity contest or just what you decide?
    All the kinks have yet to be worked out, and for now I'll try and pick bourbons that are pretty well available everywhere. Eventually I think a board-wide poll of several nominated bourbons might be fun. That, or whichever distillery gives me the most money to pimp their product

Advanced Taster

Knob Creek is one of my faves, although the Pappy Van Winkle family blindsided me with some truly great stuff. I will pick up a bottle of KB when it goes on sale for $20.00 or less. Retail (750ml)in Colorado can swing from $22.95 to a ridiculous $34.95. But, since EWSBV 1995 is usually around $20.00, I've not picked up a bottle in a while. But at bars and resturants, everyone seems to have the "family" (Booker, Basil,and the boys) I will usually go for the KB, once in a while, Basil. KB was my first exposure to good sipping bourbon; although I don't count my earlier flings with Wild Turkey, the "party bourbon" of my youth
    Chaz

Connoisseur

Beam has done a nice job on Knob Creek pricing -- often on sale for $19.95 in South Florida. A local bar recently had a 2 for 1 Knob Creek special...$5.50.
    Now that's a happy hour.

Omar

Taster

IMHO when on sale it's a good value. It has a bold, spicey full-bodied taste that I find very satisfying, especially after a meal or with a cigar. It's not the most complex bourbon, so it's good when you want a flavorful bourbon but don't want feel like you're wasting a complex bourbon by not fully concentrating on every sip, such as while watching a game or reading a book.

Connoisseur

My first taste of Knob Creek was at the “Whiskies of the World” exposition two years ago in San Francisco. There was a seminar titled “The Great Whisky Debate”. The two speakers were Richard Patterson of “The Dalmore” from Scotland and Fred Noe representing the U.S. from Jim Beam and I sat on the front row. Our whiskies were neatly arranged for the tasting that was about to begin.

The “Debate” began. Both speakers were hilarious and very entertaining, and among the many antics, Fred demonstrated how smooth his bourbon was and proceed to break the seal of a 750ml bottle of Knob Creek and start chugging....after which, he solicited the attention of the audience to observe the fact that he didn’t grimace or make a face!

After the seminar ended and things quieted down a bit and I asked Fred (sitting across from me) to observe me while downing the remaining portion of the Knob Creek in my glass. He noted that I made a face, I enquired, respectfully curious, as I thought I had completed the task flawlessly...he said...”you made a face”....”You smiled”.... I was pleasantly “Busted”!

Soon after, I purchased a bottle and it remains to this date unopened... adding to my bunker full of “deferred gratification”.

I wonder how long I will have to bunker this bottle until it becomes rare and collectible?

Your thoughts?

(I should mention here, how wonderful Richard was too. He had brought a cask sample of the 62yo Dalmore, for part of the demonstration at this seminar. I stayed later than most of the others and just prior to the hotel closing that room, he poured a wee dram of that magnificent old malt into my glass, I savored that whisky the rest of the evening. What a treat!)

Guru

I just have to ask if everyone is seeing KC signed bottles EVERYWHERE like me? Just about every store I've been to lately has Fred Noe's signature on the bottle. I'm starting to wonder if Fred is working off a major case of writer's cramp now or if this is printed on the bottle in gold script.

Still Knob Creek has to be one of the most advertised bourbons I have seen out there. I see adverts in magazines that cater to Scotch more like GOLF. Well done Beam marketing, keep it up.

As far as the taste, It's pretty much middle of the road for me, not something I sit around and think about. Of the small batch bourbons, I rank it third behind Bookers and Bakers. Will have to try to change that this evening when I settle down in front of the PC or TV.

The most memorable thing about my current bottle is how hard it was to get open. The wax on this one was extremely hard to cut through and I had to whittle it off with a pocket knife.