Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: BOTM, 6/05: Knob Creek

I assume we're all talking about prices for the 750ml size (which I can usually get on sale every few months for about $19.99).

I noticed the liter size showing up in my favorite store lately, but I didn't note the price. With that rectangular bottle, it sure looks a lot bigger in the full liter than the 750ml. More noticeable than the difference between the 750 and liter sized regular bottles like Wild Turkey.

Guru

Knob Creek is an o.k. bourbon, but nothing special to me. It is also expensive here in PA. I like Bookers better.

Advanced Taster

I've got a couple of tidbits to add. First, it's unfortunate there is such a disparity in pricing around the country. I usually feel Colorado is expensive, but on occasion, I've found KC for $17.95 (of course, I've seen it for $34.95 as well). As far as the wax, I had bought a bottle of Makers Mark in Texas to fend off a cough. When I got back to Colorado, the wax had remelted, with the pull cord of course gone! I had a good laugh, and figured I would have to be desperate to get another drink out of the bottle! Actually, it's not at all that bad of an inexpensive bourbon. But with all these wax bottles, be careful leaving them in warmer places for extended periods. Chaz

Taster

Knob Creek is ok. It has a nice char to it, although a little rough around the edges. I had some today, and after the Knob Creek had a pour of Buffalo Trace, and there was no comparision. The BT was smooth with a nice vanilla. The Know Creek had alcohol overtones that were dominant. So it is just ok in my book.

Connoisseur

it's unfortunate there is such a disparity in pricing around the country.
    Well, you can always move to Sweden. Here, prices are all the same and always expensive!

Advanced Taster

Well, you can always move to Sweden. Here, prices are all the same and always expensive!

[/QUOTE]

I can relate, to a point. I have a very good friend from Denmark- The tax alone is unbelievable!

Advanced Taster

Yep, I agree, that puts a good description on what I find a little negative about KC, a bit rough. If I am in a bar and they have KC and Maker's, which are the 2 "high end" bourbons a lot of bars around me stock, I'll usually go for the Maker's which I find equally complex but friendlier to my taste buds.

Enthusiast

I personally like the Knob Creek. I like other bourbons better. I do not dislike the KC. I like the taste. The Maker's Mark, in my opinion, is not complex. There is very little there. Little taste or body.

Advanced Taster

Interesting, actually I've never owned a bottle of either, only had them in bars, and never side by side. I'll have to try them side by side sometime and carefully compare them.

Connoisseur

The Maker's Mark, in my opinion, is not complex. There is very little there. Little taste or body.
    No intention of hijacking this thread but what is complex about Makerīs (and I assume that we are discussing the red seal here) is actually the finish which, in my view, is unbelievable