Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Numbers, Please! (Akin to \'Show Us Your Stash\')

I passed the century mark last week, stashing away my 100th different bourbon in my bunker. Including non-bourbon American whiskey, Canadian, and Scotch, I now have more than 125 different choices nightly. About 25 of them are open right now, and I finish 2-3 bottles a month (which is why they've accumulated so -- my inflow is outpacing my intake!).
    Now, I know some of you have have even far more extensive lineups than that. So, give me a goal -- how many you got?

One storage 'bin':
    Attached Images Attached Images

Guru

Re: Numbers, Please! (Akin to \'Show Us Your Stash\')

Well, for my part I have 125 different bourbons (most open), 22 second bottles bunkered, four Scotch, three Canadians, two Irish, and a partridge in a pear tree. Some of my differences though are the same label but from different years (ie Stagg, EWSB) and eras (current vs 70's vintage decanters). I consider a bottle of Old Commonwealth I bought from Binny's last year as different from my 1977 decanter for some odd reason.

See, I knew there'd be some big numbers.
    As for different labels, I counted 'em that way, too, Dane. The Stagg '03 and '04, for example, ARE different, and my 80-proof Old Commonwealth decanter is NOT the same as the later 90-proof "Small Batch" bottling.
    It strikes me that it would also be interesting how many different bottlings we all have cumulatively, but that's probably not possible to ascertain. I'd bet we could put together a pretty good whiskey-history museum, though.

Guru

Tim, you tend to have more of the museum pieces that are actually bourbon history. I have mostly current bottlings. But then I guess that means I have the Y2K era of bourbon history well represented for posterity.

Apprentice

Damn guys, Makes my six bottles of half open bourbons look sick. I envy all of you. May I ask a dumb rookie question?
    Where do you find old unopen bourbon? I know there isn't any around these parts.

Guru

Re: Numbers, Please! (Akin to \'Show Us Your Stash\'

How far are you from Atlanta? There used to be lots of little mom-and-pop (or so they seemed) liquor stores all over the area. Those are the places where I would think you could make such finds.

Tim

Enthusiast

Particularly, you might check out some south suburb neighborhoods whose character has changed a bit in the last several years. I had a little luck finding some old SW products in stores up by Buford Highway, tucked behind the expanded tequila section. Usually, the store just changes its ordering when the tastes of its customers change, and some old inventory can linger.

Bob

Apprentice

ratcheer and BobA thank you I would have never thought of that.

Advanced Taster

I just got into bourbon last year and in that year (a very poor year), i managed to amass a measly 11 bottles hehe.
    I took one bottle of Stagg with me to Japan and since i moved here 3 months ago, ive bought 6 other bottles

Spring 05 Stagg
    Wild Turkey 8
    Wild Turkey 12
    Bookers
    OGD 114
    Blantons
    Elijah Craig 18

patience, patience, my numbers will grow. (but reading all of your numbers makes me want to give up.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

It might be a small selection, but it is a selection that I could live quite happily with for a long, long time.