Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Numbers, Please! (Akin to \'Show Us Your Stash\')

I passed the century mark last week, stashing away my 100th different bourbon in my bunker. Including non-bourbon American whiskey, Canadian, and Scotch, I now have more than 125 different choices nightly. About 25 of them are open right now, and I finish 2-3 bottles a month (which is why they've accumulated so -- my inflow is outpacing my intake!).
    Now, I know some of you have have even far more extensive lineups than that. So, give me a goal -- how many you got?

One storage 'bin':
    Attached Images Attached Images

Guru

Re: Numbers, Please! (Akin to \'Show Us Your Stash\')

Well, for my part I have 125 different bourbons (most open), 22 second bottles bunkered, four Scotch, three Canadians, two Irish, and a partridge in a pear tree. Some of my differences though are the same label but from different years (ie Stagg, EWSB) and eras (current vs 70's vintage decanters). I consider a bottle of Old Commonwealth I bought from Binny's last year as different from my 1977 decanter for some odd reason.

See, I knew there'd be some big numbers.
    As for different labels, I counted 'em that way, too, Dane. The Stagg '03 and '04, for example, ARE different, and my 80-proof Old Commonwealth decanter is NOT the same as the later 90-proof "Small Batch" bottling.
    It strikes me that it would also be interesting how many different bottlings we all have cumulatively, but that's probably not possible to ascertain. I'd bet we could put together a pretty good whiskey-history museum, though.

Guru

Tim, you tend to have more of the museum pieces that are actually bourbon history. I have mostly current bottlings. But then I guess that means I have the Y2K era of bourbon history well represented for posterity.

Connoisseur

Bah, a paltry 119 bottles! And there I was, with pulse racing, counting frantically, hoping to grab an early lead.

Anyway, out of these there are 38 bourbons, 6 ryes, 3 Tennessees and a lone corn whiskey.

Unfortunately, I have no possibility of displaying them all in one picture.

Connoisseur

I am afraid to count the number of bottles in my collection. The wife might see me and start ranting about the impending fire. Anyway, I will post the tally.

Taster

91 & going up with 17 opened & another 28 bunkered for a rainy day.

Connoisseur

Re: Numbers, Please! (Akin to \'Show Us Your Stash\'

A photo like that is guaranteed to bring a smile to one's face! And Tim, it looks like you have a different glass for each bottle of bourbon!

Connoisseur

153 of which 140 are opened

37 different bourbons
    114 Scotches
    1 Canadian
    1 Japanese

Virtuoso

My wife being the structural engineer that she is, she suggested I count bottles up in Excel. Oh...so much easier! (???)

The total was:
    52 Bottlings:

46 Bourbon
    5 Rye
    1 Blended

86 Bottles Total:

38 Open Bottles
    48 Unopened

I didn't count the few odd Scotch and that one verflixter Canadian "whiskey" (which shall remain nameless)

That number is far from impressive in these lofty surroundings, but what Excel made easy to do was count things in other, interesting ways, such as:

Of the 86 bottles:
    17 are current production (4 of which were bought as a joke)
    16 are limited production
    53 are out of production (12 of these recently out of production)

My definition of "limited" was a bit arbitrary, as I counted Elmer T Lee and Old Charter Proprieter's Reserve as limited, but not Bulleit or Ezra Brooks 12.

I guess what the number crunching says about my personal profile is that I just won't buy standard product in any significant amount.

I notice that I only keep enough standard product in the house for today's drinking, but will stock up on anything I like that has some mechanism that creates scarcity (even leaving out the dusty ol'bottles part), such as depletable stocks (VW and Wathen's), "vintages" (Birthday Bourbon and Stagg), and limited availability (McKenna Bond, at least around the Bay Area).

It also means that if future bourbon enthusiasts tend to have buying habits like mine that a business model such as BT would thrive, where Makers Mark would wither.

Roger - give me Variety, or I'll buy Scotch - Hodges

P.S. - Not Really