Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Taster

Weller SR vs. Weller Antique

I've searched without success for a thread on the differences between Special Reserve and Antique. Is there a real noticable difference in taste? I guess the solution is to buy both, but I'd rather have an idea of the two tastes before doing so. Any commnets would be welcome.

Thanks!

Administrator in exile

Re: Weller SR vs. Weller Antique

To my understanding, the only difference is the proof. Personally I don't like the Antique. I find it rather hot and astringent. The SR is very good for the price, but if you can find it, pick up a bottle of the 12yo. It's one of the best bourbons on the market at any price

Advanced Taster

I agree and I find that the bourbon from the Louisville
    distillery is the best....

Taster

Thanks! Both comments were helpful. I've been enjoying a bottle of the SR from Louisville (with pink strip, but not tax stamp) and stumbled apon a few Louisville Antique bottles. I've been trying to decide if I should go back and pick up the remaining Louisville SRs or try the Loiusville Antique. I think I'm drawn to the gold drawn cracks on the bottle of the Antique. I'd rather have some great bourbon in an ok bottle than ok bourbon in a great bottle.

Apprentice

I have to agree with Jeff, the 12 yr is fantastic, especially for only $16.99 here in Chicago. You won't be disappointed with the 12 yr. I have to thank Ken Weber for recommending that one to me.

Advanced Taster

I guess I'm in the minority here. I really like the Antique. The flavors are so bold, and smooth. Lots of caramel and vanilla. I like the 12 YO also, but at 90 proof, it tastes like watered down Antique to me. Plus, I like younger bourbons - around 6-8 years seems to be just right for me. The 12 YO is more refined, I'd call it. YMMV.

Advanced Taster

Yes, definitely pick up the 12 yr it's quite complex. Me and my brother sampled it neat alongside the Van Winkle 10 yr 107 proof and really couldn't pick a favorite, me leaning to the VW and he the Weller 12 yr. It's a super value no question. Tom V

Enthusiast

Weller 12YO is becoming one of my staples. I like it as much as the crazily priced 19YO. Great wheat and oak flavour. When I stop experimenting I predict it will be one of the Bourbons that I always keep within arms reach. Not tried the 107 antique and probably never will as it is becoming collectible over here (if I had a bottle I would drink it, no question).

Advanced Taster

Weller Antique for me. I like the 107 proof and yet it still is not too hot and very sweet and smooth. And for $20 here in Oregon, its my daily pour. My weekend/special pour is Old Rip Van Winkle 10yr 107.

Taster

I've now had the opportunity to have both and I like the 107 slightly better. It is more complex than the SR, which is also very nice, but more mellow. My bottle of SR has a date of 92 on the bottom of the bottle and my 107 is dated 96. Both are very good and I'm planning on getting more. I understand the post SW versions have a different profile, which could explain why some don't care for the 107.