Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japanese Whisky

Apprentice

Japanese Whisky

My brother just picked up a bottle of Nikka "Pure Malt Black," and "Pure Malt White." Anybody ever hear of these? He bought them at La Maison du Whisky in Paris and the retailers here in Chicago have never heard of Nikka. Beautiful bottles, unlike any whisk(e)y bottles I've ever seen.

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Re: Japanese Whisky

Are these the bottles that look more like they might hold cologne or perfume rather than whiskey? I've had several Nikkas including some at the past Sampler supplied by Koji and his associate. All were tasty stuff ....... but definitely in a "scotch" vein.

Randy

Connoisseur

These are, if I remember right, the 500 ml bottles. I have not tried them myself but a friend of mine has sampled the Nikka White and he was mightily impressed.

Theyre supposed to contain lots of Yoichi which I have tried. An excellent whisky and a highly individual voice in this field.

Administrator in exile

I'm holding what's left of that larger bottle of Nikka Pure Malt. I'm planning on bringing it back in September if there is any left It has an interesting flavor, similar to bourbon in some ways, but very smoky.

Apprentice

These bottles do in fact look like they might hold cologne; I liken them to something you might see in a chemist's lab. And they are in fact 500 ml. I intend on opening the Nikka Black tonight at one of the finer Japanese restaurants here in Chicago and drinking it while eating sushi and other Japanese delicacies. This seems like the best way to enjoy something as exotic as this. Then later maybe some bourbon at Delilah's. The Van Winkle Rye is being served there at $6/shot and the other day I purchased a bottle from the bar of Delilah's own "Strong Unfiltered 10 year American Premium Old Kentucky Bourbon from the ORVW Family Reserves (100 proof)." Randy, when you were at Delialh's last I hope you were able to try this (if not get yourself a bottle).

You might also ask if they happen to have one of Randy's single-barrel 12yo Lot B. I don't know if he traded them one, but if so, try it. Worth it.

Disciple

Wonderful whisky. I live in Japan so they aren't really exotic to me, but they aren't all that widely available even here. Not too expensive here. I really like the Black and the White is good too when I am in the mood for a smoky Islay style whisky. I might just go pour myself one now! The Yoichi 10 that I have is also a favorite though it is a bit expensive. You might actually be able to get it cheaper in the States. I haven't had the 12 as the price just about doubles while it spends the last two years in the barrel... I think that the White and maybe the Black may contain some Scotish malt.
    Ed

Virtuoso

I've heard of Nikka, but never seen it for sale; perhaps it isn't imported here?

The only Japanese whisky I've had was 12yo Suntory Yamazaki; a very nice pour, and reasonably priced. I've also seen an 18yo Yamazaki on the shelf, but it costs more than twice as much.

Disciple

Binny's web site doesn't list any Nikka Products. The Yamazaki 12 is cheaper ($29.95) than the 10 (more than $30)is here. The 12 year old is more than UA$50 evwen on sale. Go Figure. The 10 is good whisky but not for the price. No, it is worth the price. Let me put that another way, when I have thirty buck to spend on whisky there are too many others that I like better to buy another bottle of Yamazaki 10. I will buy a bottle of the 12 some day.

Now, the Nikka 10 year old is worth the forty plus dollars. IMHO.
    Ed

Taster

Now, the Nikka 10 year old is worth the forty plus dollars. IMHO.
    Is that the Single Cask Yoichi 10 yr? I've been thinking of picking it up when I'm in Japan in late August. I currently have Hibiki 17 year and want to expand my Japanese whisky collection.