Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: July BOTM?

Virtuoso

July BOTM?

Has there been discussion on what next month's bourbon of the month should be?

If it isn't decided, I nominate an old friend of mine, Old Forester. I think it can be found across the country without problem, isn't overly expensive, and has a rich, long tradition.

In addition to its great flavor and quality, there are several other interesting aspects to this bourbon. Some people, myself included, have nursed theories that Forester may have suffered during the teething period of Woodford. There have recently been a couple of side references to it having become a little sweeter in the last couple of years, so checking in to current bottlings would be timely. It's high rye content, availability (in some parts) as a 100 proof, and comparisons to Birthday Bourbon could also be themes that carry conversation through the month.

Roger

Enthusiast

Re: July BOTM?

If you are looking for a second, here it is. Old Forester was the first sub $10 Bourbon I had tried that actually tasted good, much more like a small batch, than a well drink. In my locker I only have the bonded 100pf stuff (and a Birthday as well), so I would have to go out and purchase one to participate, I think I can afford it

Administrator in exile

I like it! Officially it will be Old Forester 100 proof, but discussion of the 86 proof will be allowed (tolerated?) I don't really want to get into the Birthday Bourbons this go around, but references here and there are ok.

So there it is, you've got 10 days to find a bottle of OF100. Chop Chop!

Enthusiast

The only Old Forester we have in PA besides the Birthday Bourbon is the 86 proof in 1.75 liter bottles. I'd hate to buy that large of a bottle if I didn't like it. I'll go for it anyway.

Guru

I don't have any Old Forester in the bunker (now how did that happen } But.....I'll be very interested in what ya'all say.
    Joe

Guru

Don't worry, it is fairly nice bourbon. One of only a small handful of standard bottlings that are truly enjoyable.

Tim

Enthusiast

One of only a small handful of standard bottlings that are truly enjoyable.
    Especially since I last bought it at $10 a liter for the 86 proof. I still haven't been able to find the 100 proof, but I'm always looking.

Enthusiast

Thanks Tim,
    That's good to hear. If it's better tham Jim Beam White, I'll be happy. And it's only $24.99 for the 1.75 liter.

Best news of all is that I already have it -- albeit, the remains of a 200ml -- so it won't cost me a thing.

Virtuoso

In all my years of championing Old Forester, I've never actually held a bottle of OF 100 in my hands. In fact, I've never noticed a bottle of it for sale in the Bay Area.

I guess I'll have to order it out of Chicagoland ( I hope no un-chill filtered BT bourbons accidentally falls into the cart ), unless anyone knows of a local source. Robby? Jim? Doug? Anyone?

Roger - Forester, Forester everywhere, but not a Bond to drink - Hodges