Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: July BOTM?

Taster

Re: July BOTM?

This is one of my go-tos that I always have on hand. Even when not on sale I think this is generally a good value. I find it to have a good, solid, clean wood backbone, with nice dry fruit and other (earthy/ground coffee, maybe caramel/vanilla) tastes, and warm spice on a relatively long finish.

(edited for minor typo)

Disciple

I have about 1/3 of my first bottle of Old Forester left. I remember that I didn't like it much at first. I didn't dislike it, but it seemed bland to me. That was probably me not the whiskey though it was the 86 proof and I had been drinking higher proof whiskeys, so that probably contributed to the impression. The last time I went to the bottle I really enjoyed it and wondered at my initial impression. I am looking forward to finishing off the bottle in July.
    Ed

Enthusiast

Didn't I read somewhere that the Old Forester 100pf BIB was being discontinued? If so, its rarety may make for a thin thread.

Administrator in exile

That would be news to me. There seems to be plenty of it available around here. I can still find quite a bit of the old-label around. I'm thinking about buying a bottle of that and the "Black Diamond" label for comparison of new(er) and old(er).

Didn't I read somewhere that the Old Forester 100pf BIB was being discontinued?
    Brown-Forman has discontinued bottling the 100 proof as BIB, though they claim it still meets BIB criteria. I recently tasted a side-by-side of the BIB and "100-proof" -- both of which still can be found around here -- and there was practically no difference. Even the labels both stated each was 4 years old. Apparently, just a labeling change.

Advanced Taster

I picked up a bottle of OF 100 yesterday for $12.79. I also picked up a bottle of Elmer T. Lee for $23.79 (big sale at a store here). I did not, did NOT like the OF 100 at first. But it actually started to grow on me, by the second two finger pour (neat). As the month of July progesses, I will be keeping an open mind, er, palate. It is totally different than what I have been drinking, but by far and away, it's also the least expensive.