Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: With steak?

Hybrid View

With steak?

So how many prefer wine with steak over whisky? I have been a wine drinker with red meat for a long time and I feel a little funny when I drink bourbon with my beef.
    Anyone else?

Re: With steak?

I like a peppery red wine -- say, Shiraz/Syrah or Zinfandel -- with steak (beef), but almost always use a bourbon-based marinade if I'm preparing it myself. Old Forester 86 or Ancient Age 80 or 90 are good examples for use.

The Boss

Old Forester 86 or Ancient Age 80 or 90 are good examples for use.
    This intrigues me Tim. Why do you use relatively low proof bourbons for marinade? I started using Booker's in my marinades some years ago, as I became convinced that high proof bourbons produce a more flavorful meat.

...Why do you use relatively low proof bourbons for marinade?...
    Because if I don't use them as marinade, I have to drink them.
    Seriously, I figure the cooking is going to 'burn off' much of the flavor anyway. I find the lower-proof versions are still high-enough proof to tenderize, and still impart what bourbon flavor is going to remain after cooking. Seems like a waste of Booker's and suchlike, to me.

The Boss

Booker's has a nutty flavor that I find most disagreeable, so I don't drink it. It's damn good in a marinade however.

I admit I've been working on this same bottle of Booker's for three years now. I don't frequently bourbon marinate red meat, and maybe use 3 or 4 oz's when I do.

I do always have to have a snort just to see if I like it yet though.

Guru

Persistance will someday pay off Jim, keep it up!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    I like a peppery red wine -- say, Shiraz/Syrah or Zinfandel -- with steak (beef), but almost always use a bourbon-based marinade if I'm preparing it myself. Old Forester 86 or Ancient Age 80 or 90 are good examples for use.
    As a barkeep for a fine dining restaurant, I might also recommend one of the new Malbecs from Argentina. They're nice, dry, reds that rival Cabernet Sauvignon as a great "steak wine"!

As for whiskey, if it's a BBQ'd steak, then yeah, I'll reach for a bourbon, something heavy and woody, like Booker's. Though I do admit that the Talisker 10-year scotch pairs pretty well with a good steak, too, particularly if it was dry-aged...

Administrator in exile

Quote Originally Posted by boss302 View Post
    As a barkeep for a fine dining restaurant, I might also recommend one of the new Malbecs from Argentina. They're nice, dry, reds that rival Cabernet Sauvignon as a great "steak wine"!

As for whiskey, if it's a BBQ'd steak, then yeah, I'll reach for a bourbon, something heavy and woody, like Booker's. Though I do admit that the Talisker 10-year scotch pairs pretty well with a good steak, too, particularly if it was dry-aged...
    Can you recommend a good malbec? I have thus far been underwhelmed with the examples of the varietal that I have tasted.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Jeff, Have you tried Almos Malbec. I must admit this is the only Malbec I can recall having recently, and after years of working in wine-intensive restaurants, I have adopted a "just drink it" attitude.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Having recently returned from 10 days in Argentina including 4 in the Mendoza wine region, I'll offer my opinion. As stated above, the malbecs tend to have a drier and sometimes short finish. If you're expecting a real fleshy rich finish like you find in some CA cabs, you probably won't find it in a malbec. None the less, we found many that we really enjoyed. Here are my opinions on some you might find here in the US.

Catena Zapata makes a wide range of wines at various price points. Their "Catena" malbec is good at $18 and their "Alta" is very nice at $40.

Acheval Ferrer makes great malbecs, but can be hard to find and a little pricey.

Tikal makes many excellent wines including their malbec at $25 and a red blend (called "Amore" if I recall) at $20.

O. Fournier makes a nice blend of tempranillo and malbec. Their "B Crux" is very nice and should run about $20.

I was disappointed with Salenteins wines as I found their malbecs finish to be too short.

Alta Vista makes a great reserve malbec for about $35.

In summary, I'd try the Catena Malbec for $18 to see if you like a "typical" good quality malbec. You may find you simply prefer a cab with your steak.

Coincidentally, I am planning on bringing some of these wines to Bardstown for the Sampler dinner.

Randy