Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: With steak?

With steak?

So how many prefer wine with steak over whisky? I have been a wine drinker with red meat for a long time and I feel a little funny when I drink bourbon with my beef.
    Anyone else?

Re: With steak?

I like a peppery red wine -- say, Shiraz/Syrah or Zinfandel -- with steak (beef), but almost always use a bourbon-based marinade if I'm preparing it myself. Old Forester 86 or Ancient Age 80 or 90 are good examples for use.

Enthusiast

Bourbon before, and most definitely after (what better dessert?!), but not usually with any meal. I really need to try a bourbon marinade, though. It sounds intriguing.

Guru

I love bourbon, as everyone here knows. But, I'll take mine before or after dinner, please.

Yes, with steak I prefer good red wine. Bordeaux is my favorite, but I also enjoy Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Pitite Sirah, etc. The very best I ever had was a Chateau Margeaux, but it has become so pricy I can no longer afford it.

Sometimes I even enjoy Beaujolais with a steak dinner.

Tim

The Boss

Old Forester 86 or Ancient Age 80 or 90 are good examples for use.
    This intrigues me Tim. Why do you use relatively low proof bourbons for marinade? I started using Booker's in my marinades some years ago, as I became convinced that high proof bourbons produce a more flavorful meat.

...Why do you use relatively low proof bourbons for marinade?...
    Because if I don't use them as marinade, I have to drink them.
    Seriously, I figure the cooking is going to 'burn off' much of the flavor anyway. I find the lower-proof versions are still high-enough proof to tenderize, and still impart what bourbon flavor is going to remain after cooking. Seems like a waste of Booker's and suchlike, to me.

The Boss

Booker's has a nutty flavor that I find most disagreeable, so I don't drink it. It's damn good in a marinade however.

I admit I've been working on this same bottle of Booker's for three years now. I don't frequently bourbon marinate red meat, and maybe use 3 or 4 oz's when I do.

I do always have to have a snort just to see if I like it yet though.

Guru

Persistance will someday pay off Jim, keep it up!

Advanced Taster

Re:Yep,With steak!

As a wine lover ever since I was old enough to know what wine was, I've been drinking flavorful reds of all stripes with my beef for 30+ years. However, since I became a Bourbon enthusiast around 4-5 years ago I will have bourbon with my steak and such about 25% of the time. I think it goes great together...so I say, do it, and who cares what the world thinks! Tom V

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Re:Yep,With steak!

OK....here's my recipie for the perfect bourbon steak. Make a thick paste of brown sugar and bourbon....start with a cup of brown sugar and add just enough bourbon to make a paste. Smother the rib eyes with the paste and set aside in a zip lock bag. Cook on the grill......but be careful as the coating tends to carmelize......move to the side to keep from burning. Bourbon and sweetness at its best. Also works well cooked on a cedar plank like salmon.

Randy